Mountain Buzz banner

RRFW Riverwire – Hualapai Nation River Trip Camping Permit Fee Increased

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Tom Martin 
#1 ·
RRFW Riverwire – Hualapai Nation River Trip Camping Permit Fee Increased
April 13, 2019

On April 10, 2019, the Hualapai Reservation Tribal Council voted to increase the camping fee for river runners from $100 per river trip to $100 per person. This fee increase impacts all river trips on the 109.4-mile-long border of the Hualapai Nation where reservation lands meet the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.

The increase in the cost of a camping permit comes on the heels of a change in the members of the Hualapai Nation Tribal Council. The previous Council had approved a decrease of the fee from $100 per person to $100 per river trip in January of 2019.

According to Tribal officials, the number of river runners who purchased camping permits greatly increased after the fee decrease in January was announced, with almost full compliance of all river trips. They also stated that camping permits issued prior to the increase in fees April 10, 2019, will be honored

On June 1, 2018, the Hualapai Nation Game and Fish Department issued a public notice about camping on Hualapai land along the Colorado River in Grand Canyon. The notice stated that river runners who pay a $100 per person fee would be allowed to camp, stop for lunch, and visit riverside attraction sites anywhere along the Colorado River that abuts Hualapai Nation land. The Hualapai Nation touches the edge of the Colorado River from River Mile 164.5 to River Mile 273.9 on the east side of the river, known as “river left” when looking downstream.

According to Hualapai Nation officials, Tribal Police plan to check river runners found camping on Tribal lands for the appropriate permits this summer. Anyone found on the Hualapai Reservation where it meets the Colorado River that does not have a valid camping permit may be subject to impoundment of all their river and camping equipment, arrest, and face immediate prosecution in Tribal Court.

River Runners For Wilderness Council Member Tom Martin was saddened by the change. “While we greatly respect the Council and support a permit system for camping on Reservation land, we find this fee increase unfortunate. It was very encouraging to see river runners comply with the lower fee permit. Raising the fees to such a high level for one- or two-nights of camping will simply cause river runners to camp on the other side of the river in this area, decreasing tribal revenue. We certainly understand if river runners decide to forgo this purchase and camp on river right.”

River runners are encouraged to write the Hualapai Tribal Council, respectfully encouraging the Council to reconsider this action. A low-cost fee ensures compliance with Tribal laws and raises awareness of Tribal sovereignty. Comments should be respectful and avoid personal attacks to uphold Hualapai values and respect for one another.

Comments may be mailed to
Hualapai Tribal Chairman Dr. Damon Clarke
PO Box 179, Peach Springs, AZ 86434
Or by email to Hualapai.rafting@hualapai-nsn.gov and damon.clarke@hualapai-nsn.gov

River runners are reminded that the boundary between the Hualapai Tribe and the National Park Service has yet to be decided in court. That means that if you step off your boat onto dry land between River Mile 164.5 and River Mile 273.9 on the east side of the river, you are on Hualapai Tribal land, as per the Hualapai Tribe. According to Tribal officials, river runners who are found camping, having lunch or visiting attraction sites along the south side of the Colorado River on Tribal lands are committing trespass if they do not have a valid permit.

In July of 2017, Tribal Chairman Dr. Damon Clark announced the Nation would be offering camping permits for river runners. He also stated river runners who are scouting rapids may continue to do so without any sort of permit.

River runners who chose not to camp or stop for lunch on river left between River Mile 164.5 and River Mile 273.9 are not required to pay the above fees. Should river runners still desire to purchase a Hualapai Nation river camping permit, they may be obtained by calling the Hualapai Nation Game and Fish Department at 928-769-2227 or 928-769-1122 or by email at hualapai.rafting@hualapai-nsn.gov
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIVERWIRE is a free service to the community of river lovers from River Runners for Wilderness. To sign-up for future Riverwires, send an e-mail address to riverwire@rrfw.org and we'll add it to the RRFW Riverwire e-mail alerts list.

Join RRFW's Facebook discussion group to stay abreast of and participate in the latest river issues. It's as easy as visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/raftgc/

Join RRFW's Yahoogroup discussion group to stay abreast of and participate in the latest river issues. It's as easy as sending a blank e-mail to Rafting_Grand_Canyon-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Check out RRFW's Rafting Grand Canyon Wiki for free information on Do-It-Yourself Grand Canyon rafting info https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Main_Page

Check out new items and donate at the RRFW Store! RRFW is a non-profit project of Living Rivers. https://rrfw.org/catalog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See less See more
#6 ·
I've known Tom for going on 25 years. I don't always see eye to eye with him and sometimes question his approach - but not many have done more for The Canyon. Really, what have you done for The Canyon, for river runners, for increasing non-commercial access....

#3 ·
Mr. Ryan, Great to hear from you. Thank you so much for that stick in my eye.

Yes, I agree that while the low cost program was in place, about 90 do-it-yourself river trips achieved over a $100,000 savings.

I apologize for not paying as much attention to this as I should. Working with Glen Canyon to get some better camps in lower Cataract Canyon, rolling out the Ark Guide, doing oral histories to preserve DIY paddling history, writing Congress folks about the latest private tour business attempt to pull yet more river access to them, and seeking clarification on some Grand Canyon river running issues have kept me hopping. Oh. Then there is the writing about river history... the behind the scenes management stories never before published are amazing.

So how have you been? Besides another stick in my eye, what else have you been doing?

Hope all's well, Cordially yours, Tom

#7 ·
Yes, ignore the stick tossers!
Appreciate all the work you do for private boaters, and the Grand Canyon, such as helping spear head the fight against the tram.

I am still happy to give the benefit of the doubt, and stay off the disputed land, until the dispute is resolved. I see no reason to inflame things, when there is still a lot of great camping on the opposite side of the river.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know, Tom!

#8 ·
Let's not tar and feather the messenger here, let alone ignore Tom's tireless advocacy for river access. It's important to also acknowledge this reasoned response to the tribal decision, made not more than a few months after the GCPBA was unethically inflaming things by outright rcommending river runners trespass on their lands as well as questioning their territorial claims with junk science.

#10 ·
The tribal lands are what they ended up with after non native Americans and/or Europeans came along with a lot more military power than spears and arrows. So be it.

As a private rafter and long retired business person, my take on this camp fee issues and also the ridiculous diamond Creek take out facilities and fees charged to private boaters who use the Grand Canyon for recreation and support it with our tax dollars is just do not use the tribal camp areas or diamond creek. The Grand Canyon is a benefit we got from nature but the US taxpayers make the Grand Canyon the recreational jewel it is today. Without the US Park Service, my bet is the Grand Canyon area would be a trash dump.

as a business person, my theory is build and maintain facilities that the purchasing public will want to use and charge a reasonable fee to maintain, improve facilities to the point a profit can be made and prices are still attractive to the public.

Do not use the tribal facilities especially Diamond Creek and with all the loss of income, my bet is the tribe (s) will feel the loss of income and do what is reasonable.

My opinion as a person who has used diamond creek take out is that take out is about the most unfriendly place a boater could use. We boaters pay big money to endure a painful experience. The tribe does maintain a road that most vehicles either cannot use or else a few trips tear up the vehicle. The ramp is as basic as it gets and there is nothing there to make the unloading process a bit more easier. I could give a bunch of really easy improvements to diamond creek access that would cost very little to the tribe but generate more income for them.

It appears to me all the tribe is doing is ripping off boaters who use diamond creek.

It is the right of the tribe (s) to set fees for use of their land and I support that right.

It is also the right of the public who pay taxes to make a Grand Canyon float the awesome experience that the float is to bypass tribal land and float on down to a US Tax payer funded take out. If people want to pay a ripoff fee to the tribes for diamond creek access or camp on a few sites the tribe (s) own that is their choice.

There is a rule of thumb idea for retail that states do not price your product to the point it cannot be afforded and another one that states give the customer a quality product for the price. The tribal authorities have violated these concepts about as much as they can be violated.

Again I support the tribe (s) right to maintain and price tribal lands. I also support the right of Grand Canyon floaters to choose to float by tribal facilities to use public facilities that are much more boater friendly and reasonably priced.

#11 ·
imho. the land is in dispute and as written i think is national park land. there will be another fight with the indians. it will be between boaters and so called tribal authority. i do not support trump by the way so dont label me that way. i do not respect tribal law when they feel they can just claim what they want because of something that happened a hundred yrs ago. let the haters comment.....

#12 ·
It was the tribe's land hundreds of years ago and by almost all legal definitions is still theirs today (save the wacknut theory the high water mark is hundreds of feet higher than any human being in the history of mankind has ever seen). If they want to charge a ton of money for people to visit, that's their right just like it's my right to charge anyone that wants to come on my land. If no one chooses to pay what they charge that's their deal, and maybe that's what they want. I think the collective we (US government/citizens) have taken enough away from the Native Americans that were here long before us, maybe we should quit trying to take more so we can recreate cheaply on our multi thousand dollar rafting rigs.

#13 ·
td,
you are correct. "hundreds" of years ago. so what. a lot of cultures had lands"hundreds of years ago" i had land ten yrs ago and entered into a contract that made it not mine anymore. so did the indians. a fair amount of our tax dollars go to the BIA. I live next to a reservation and my family settled on the reservation four generations ago. indians have every oppurtunity to better themselves and the tribe. you just wish you had even the chance at a free education. a few have takin advantage and have excelled exceptionally. i feel the tribe is just trying to make an easy buck with (of course ) no effort.

#14 ·
I have a trip in June and will not pay this fee. I would have paid the $100 for the trip, even though I think the boundary is the high water line. The assertion that maybe they raised it to $100 per person because they don't won't people there is laughable and beyond belief.

#15 ·
I just ran the GC, 21 day trip and it was awesome. We were told by the ranger at the put in orientation that the "traditional" high water level on river left IS part of the GC park and thus is open to camp on.
It is NOT a "wacknut" theory, it is and has been part of the Grand Canyon management practice for about a 100 years or so.
I will continue to camp on the left side until this is resolved. IMO the Hualapai's have gotten enough of my money (rightly so) for taking out at Diamond.
I don't begrudge the tribe fair and legal fees but it seems they are becoming a tad greedy.

#17 ·
Hi Wavester, you might be interested to know that Jeff Ingram worked with all the players involved to expand the boundaries of Grand Canyon National Park in 1975. Here are his thoughts on the latest notice by Grand Canyon National Park to river runners who are asking the NPS about the boundary issue between the Hualapai Tribe and the National Park Service:

The late Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona must be roiling in his final resting place at the latest foolishness by Park Service bureaucrats in Grand Canyon National Park's administrative warrens.

Were he still around, Im sure Goldwater would agree with George Orwell's great quote:

"It is ridiculous to get angry, BUT there is a stupid malignity in these things which does try one's patience" (my emphases).

When Goldwater was putting together the legislation that became the 1975 Grand Canyon National Park Enlargement Act, he took great pains 1) NOT to intrude on the rights of the Navajo, Hualapai, and Havasupai, and 2) to encourage governmental actions that would respect and serve the interests of those peoples while increasing protection of the Grand Canyon.

The Park Service has never understood the fine line that legislation walked, and has failed to follow the guidelines that the Senator and the Congress set down to encourage the federal government's positive actions toward the other three owners of the Canyon's South side.

Once again, as in previous times since 1975, local South Rim officials, lacking principled understanding and historical knowledge of the laws that govern their work, have contravened the language and intent of the 1975 Act.

An unsigned Park administration email is floating about, purporting to be the U.S. government position on the boundary of the Park where it abuts the northern edge of the Hualapai Indian Reservation.

The full text, as it has come to me, is reproduced at the end of this entry, but here is the (rotten) meat of the matter:

Along that shared boundary, the federal government's position places all camping beaches, by definition, within the management authority of the National Park Service and not within the Hualapai reservation.
AND
Based upon the federal government's determination of the boundary between the park and the reservation, the Tribe cannot require camping fees for camping on river left downstream of river mile 166.

Notice, please that it is the federal government's "position" and "determination". What lovely bureaucratic euphemisms for the word "opinion". Unfortunately for the writer of the email, cloaking itself in euphemism does not alter the wording and intent of the two controlling documents in this matter: a Presidential Proclamation and an Act of Congress.

I have written extensively about the history and law of the boundaries of the Reservation and the Park. I will simply sum up here by saying that the land on the south bank along the Reservation is part of that Reservation, the boundary of which runs to and along the river. The Park Service has jurisdiction only over river traffic when it is on the water. The Park Service has no "management authority" on what the email calls the "camping beaches". The Hualapai can charge fees, just as they can and do at Diamond Creek.

If the email is correct -- and its benign language belies decades of Hualapai-NPS relations -- about the current stance of the Hualapai, then there may well be even more trouble ahead than is envisioned by those who have correctly warned that using the Hualapai land on the south bank of their Reservation without permission may well, at any point, find trespassers in court and worse.

Full text of email"
"Grand Canyon National Park staff continue to focus on collective objectives of resource preservation and education with the Hualapai Tribe and will work
collaboratively to develop strategies for shared stewardship and mutual respect of each others responsibilities and authorities.
Grand Canyon National Park and the Hualapai Tribe share a common boundary along 108 miles of the Colorado River. Along that shared boundary, the federal government's position places all camping beaches, by definition, within the management authority of the National Park Service and not within the Hualapai reservation.
The park and tribe are coordinating on preparation of electronic and other informational materials that provide river users and the general public with the history of the Hualapai Tribe, their relationship to the river and Grand
Canyon landscape, and the relationship between the tribe and park. The outlets for these materials are being considered and may include the park and tribal websites, distribution to our river concessionaires and their
clients, and possibly in-service training with our staff's.
The tribe is developing a new website for river users to pay a tribal 'access/permit fee.' The park will provide a link to that site. It is our understanding that the tribe will allow hiking on the reservation, with appropriate permit and associated fees, and will identify any specific
locations that are off limits. Based upon the federal government's determination of the boundary between the park and the reservation, the Tribe cannot require camping fees for camping on river left downstream of river mile 166 (National Canyon)."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.