Rogue - That great campfire smell without all of the hard work - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 08-19-2013   #1

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Rogue - That great campfire smell without all of the hard work

Launched 8/16. The smoke was tolerable. Camps on the left bank were closed from below Wildcat to below Quail Cr. Battle Bar appeared untouched. A fire break had been carved up the hill at Missouri Cr.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013   #2

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the update and the pics. It looks like the Rogue endured a lot better than I feared. With only twenty percent contained, I hope we've seen the worst of it.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #3

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezcruzr View Post
Thanks for the update and the pics. It looks like the Rogue endured a lot better than I feared. With only twenty percent contained, I hope we've seen the worst of it.
Me too! I launch in 17 days!
I'm assuming there are no campfires allowed?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013   #4

Ashland, Oregon
Just got off too...we saw a fire spark up at rivers edge from Upper Kelsey Camp late night and burn out quick....appeared to be lots of actively smoking hotspots too....fyi-- if you are thinking of heading out - make sure you learn your restrictions as lots of camps are closed which will affect your timing for travel. I heard Bear Camp Rd. almost opened on Sun per Cougar Store but not sure. Still National Guard at both ends. Overall good air conditions but be aware of change....seemed liked the river really benefitted from this one in term of cleaning up the brush in spots. Lots of bear sightings but not us and of course more mishaps at Blossom...
Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #5

Ashland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Me too! I launch in 17 days!
no campfires allowed indeed
Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I am not even sure that charcoal is allowed. Better check with BLM Rand.
Old 08-19-2013   #7

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Actually, I'm not planning to take a cooler full of ice, firepan or D.O.
Just keep it simple this time, with single burner stove and easy meals.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Hey thanks for the updates and pictures guys, great to see how it looks. I think I'm gonna try and get a Summer permit this year and maybe take the wife and me, we'll see how it goes...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Here is a photo of how Zane Gray's cabin was protected during the fire taken by one of the river guides that was ushering fire crews down the river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zane Grays Cabin.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	6904  
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #10

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
We rowed the Rogue Aug 15-18 and it was one of the most memorable summer trips I've had there. Our put in day was the last of the quiet launch days before groups got their trips reorganized and rescheduled following the opening. There were only 5 groups and around 30 people total launching that day Glad to see fire doing its thing in the Rogue canyon. From my observations, talking to fire crews, and following the Big Windy Complex on Inciweb, this has been primarily a low intensity fire consuming ground fuels and brush, with limited torching on trees. We saw 12 bears, all just being bears, foraging for berries, etc. Also saw numerous river otters. There were clusters of firefighter activity at Lower Horseshoe Bend, Winkle Bar, and Mule Creek. I second the other comments about thinking through your trip schedule and campsite selection - with many campsites closed, it changes the use pattern. No wood fires, no charcoal fires allowed right now. Flow was 1820 cfs at Grants Pass. Middle Chute at Rainey Falls was perfect level! Carnage at Blossom Bar with a spectacular raft wrap (nobody hurt), yard sale of gear floating on down the river.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote