Registering an outboard motor in NM - Mountain Buzz

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019   #1
Sunscreen's Avatar
Farmington, New Mexico
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 15
Registering an outboard motor in NM

So I have a little Mercury 5HP motor that works nicely hooked up to my Aire Lyon cat boat. I’m trying to get it registered in NM so that the I can legally use it in UT for Cataract trips and whatnot. The problem is that NM doesn’t register motors and I can’t register the boat without a hull number/title for the Lyon, which doesn’t exist.

Has anyone else found a sweet loophole that I haven’t figured out? I’m stumped.

Sunscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2019   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 224
Can you use the serial number of your boat as the hull number?
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019   #3
dallas divide co, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 47
you definitely use the serial #off your tubes ...I have an Air Leopard registered in Colorado and I can use any Motor on my setup
riversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2019   #4
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 114
I registered my Aire Tributary. I would call Lyons, they have to give you something. No title, but origin of manufacturer form. Will be like Long Dong in Long Gone Province or something.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019   #5
Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
In NM you have to take the whole rig w/ motor attached down to DMV and get the vin # off the tubes certified. If you have the original paperwork from Aire showing the vin# that will make it easier on you and the poor confused soul you get after the epic wait. I have registered a few inflatable boats w/ motor in our great state and it is much easier with the factory paperwork but doable without if the DMV personnel is in a mood to be helpful. It's NM, plan on two trips and if you get it done on first attempt be psyched! If you ever use the rig on NM lake waters make sure you have all the necessary fire extinguishers, throwable devices, spare propulsion and whistle/air horn with you (wear your PFD's too). White water boats with motors are such an anomaly here the rangers always want to check you out and use it as an excuse for a shake down.
CJWeinmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019   #6
k2andcannoli's Avatar
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 877
Just claim you're from OK and make a new bill of sale before you head out...problem solved.

"You may operate your vessel within the first 30 days of ownership, prior to applying for your title and registration, if you carry on board the original bill of sale."
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019   #7
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 505
If it's anything like Montana, you'll need a certificate of origin to get a VIN assigned, then you just title as a normal watercraft with the VIN you were assigned, and then register with the the title once available. Call AIRE and ask for a cert, they should be able to make one for you using your serial#. My experience is with registering my NRS, and they were super easy to work with to get the cert created and sent over, I've only heard good things about AIRE customer service so I assume the experience would be similar.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.