recreation.gov - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2016   #1

Almont, Colorado
recreation.gov

Wanted to pass along a tip if you are trying to add spots to a permit you won on recreation.gov. You need to put in your current permit # + the spots you want to add (if avail). I went in this week and wanted to add 3 spots to my san juan permit and out in 3 (6 were listed as avail). Well this reduced my permit from 12 to 3. I immediately called rec.gov and they could not help/reverse. I did grab the 6 that were avail to make it 9 total. Now waiting for the numbers cancelled off of my permit to be released back into the avail pool and hopefully get back to atleast my original 12.

It just is not too clear how the system worked. I should of put in 15 (12 original + 3 wanted to add)

29singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm not sure that I understand what your saying. If I have a permit, doesn't it simply come with x number of people / boats?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My approach with Rec.gov has been to apply for a very small permit, like 4-6 people to try and get accepted. Then following up closer to the date adding people as allowed. You can add or subtract from your group size up until the day the permit is paid for.

If you apply for the maximum group size you will have a harder time pulling a permit...but if you get that max size permit then you don't need to update anything until you pay.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
So if I picked up a cancellation does that mean that it was likely for a set number of people/rafts and that I may not be able to add?
Old 03-19-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Is this rule just for the San Juan or is it inclusive to other rivers?
Old 03-19-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I haven't ever personally picked up a cancellation with rec.gov, so not sure about that, but it has been the same for me with both the San Juan and Deso, which leads me to believe it's the situation with all their lottery permits.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #7

Great Falls, Montana
I just figured it out. This isn't a rec.gov issue it is a SanJuan issue. Most other rivers come with X number of people for the permit.
Old 03-19-2016   #8

., .
I just Updated one of my 4 Rivers permits in Idaho and I was able to add addition people. I also recieved an confirmation email.

Had you previously paid for 12 permits? How much was your original invoice receipt you were emailed?
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
8 wasted Middle Fork permits on rec.gov right now. Man that ticks me off. If you aren't committed to a trip between August 15 and September 15, then please don't apply for a permit during that time.
Old 03-20-2016   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Salmon Season

Exactly. Or cancel before March 15 so someone who is serious about going can pick up the trip.
cmharris is online now   Reply With Quote