Rattlesnake bite treatment on the river - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

Seattle, Washington
Maybe it helps being a steelhead fisherman to get it and think it’s funny. Sorry if you couldn’t see the humor

davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

I would evacuate. I had a buddy bitten by a venomous snake. Not sure if it was a timber rattler or copperhead. He never saw it. He took a swim and while walking the bank to retrieve his yard sale, he said he thought he stepped on a stick. Obvious punctures, maybe about 1.75" apart. We were roadside. Got him out and rushed him to the ER. He was in bad shape. By the time we got to the ER he was in shock He had several rounds of anti venom (that stuff isn't cheap). He eventually was ok but he was in severe pain for several days. If I were in a backcountry situation, I would not hesitate to hit my SoS on the InReach.
JakeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

SLC, Utah
Sorry you didn't see MY humor...
I did get it and enjoyed the story. Trying to be funny myself, but sometimes it doesn't translate well typing.
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Fly them. I have a buddy who flew out of Hell’s. I won’t say a good decision got him bitten but the helicopter ride probably saved his life and for sure saved his arm.

We were camped at Loon on MFS and a ranch hand came riding into camp in bad shape. He got zapped in the leg and didn’t look good. He rode 8 mi back to the ranch from where it happened. There was a helicopter there in an hour From when I saw him. He called the ranch when the bite happened and they sat phoned out immediately.

I grew up on the Salmon river breaks in central Idaho. I’ve had some close calls by surprise. I really don’t like rattle snakes. If you get bit, call it in. And google image compartment syndrome like mentioned above.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Oh. We’ve also killed some at a caretaker’s request and ate them. It’s not worth the risk of messing with them just to eat. They only taste like what you season them with. In our case, Old Bay. And there isn’t as much meat as you would hope...barely an appetizer unless you get a few of them and they are creepy to dress. We were “relocating” them because it was an area kids frequented on a daily basis.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
While we have medical professionals answering this thread and are not entirely pissed off with well...people like me. Im going to ask a relevant question.

Ive been hearing that if someone gets bit, the best thing you can do for them other than getting medical attention is the give them a antihistamine, like benadryl. Is that true or did them old timers that go shooting out on the Pawnee grass lands just like blowing smoke up everyone's ass?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Lots of resources from these folks.

https://www.snakebitefoundation.org/...the-wilderness

Learned some first aid information I had heard about before about marking the swelling progression. Good visual guide on how to do it.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post
Sorry you didn't see MY humor...
I did get it and enjoyed the story. Trying to be funny myself, but sometimes it doesn't translate well typing.
Blueotter. Sorry for the snarky response. I honestly was worried that my story came off poorly, like I was laughing at some dumb old fisherman making a bad decision. Which I guess I kind of was, yet I understand how steelhead can cloud one’s judgement!
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
To be honest with snakes best practice is prevention. They are on the lower end of the food chain and as prey animal- their first instinct is to hide or escape. I have surprised a few- once while running in large group in rank- a rattle snake waited to rattle until about 10 of the 25 people had passed over it. Pretty comical to watch all 25 people scatter...
When I teach courses on dealing with snakebites to EMS, I recommend utilizing the radiation principle- Time..Distance..Shielding.

Give the animal time to get away from you. Place distance between the animal and you. Exit to a safe location that isolates you( and your dog) from the animal..
fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

Golden, Colorado
Or just huck a big rock on it and get on with your day.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote