Rattlesnake bite treatment on the river - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcoastie View Post
I wouldnít want to endanger a crew if there was another option.
!
Suck it up,buttercup. Itís their job. They donít get paid to sit around a hangar, eating donuts.

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Signal panels are cheap, don't mind getting wet, and take up next to no space (fold flat and put in gallon ziplock). Orange plastic tube tent for less than $10, cut into 3 X 8 foot panels and make the rangers happy... and hope you never have to use 'em.
I got my first (tube tent) at Yellow Front back in the 70's and they lasted until a few years ago. Took 'em out to show Peggy and they were disintegrated... fortunately had another set in better condition!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Donuts are good! Activate that locator so they can plug the coordinates into their FMC, find a river bank area clear of high obstacles, trees, mountain sides, etc. It doesn't need to be too flat or perfect, as long as they can get one skid or tip of skid planted is all they really need, not perfect but it will work. Make an X with lifejackets, sleeping bags, tents, oars, etc., so they know their in the right place, nothing worse than flying into a group of Boy Scouts camping out in another spot with no emergency going on. I think there's a spot to swipe your credit card on the side of the helicopter if you want then to lift off, now days, those donuts are kind of pricey. I'm glad your daughter didn't get bit.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
At least they had something of value at Yellow Front..have not heard that referenced in about 30 years....there used to be an insult,' yer mama buys yer clothes at Yallow Front'' say that in your best Denver west side accent''bud''...they said that about Kmart too,yeah snobby but they were not known for quality...fer de lances are the stuff of my nightmares,yer probly dead...and cascabels[sp?] the tropical and supposedly most deadly rattlesnake,have had multiple locals warn me that they like to sun by the river,like where you are scouting/portaging.There you might have to resort to local traditional [Mayan]medicine or cure,if you could get to a village or town.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Denver, Colorado
i remember a hatching event in a really bad spot,the put in for lwr. Clear Creek/Black Rock take out.Right where you park, like a hundred baby rattlesnakes were hatching /just hatched some got run over by cars most were making their way down the rocky slope to the river, exactly where you carry boats down..have heard babies are more poisonous ,since they lack other defenses ,Anyone know if that is true?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
i remember a hatching event in a really bad spot,the put in for lwr. Clear Creek/Black Rock take out.Right where you park, like a hundred baby rattlesnakes were hatching /just hatched some got run over by cars most were making their way down the rocky slope to the river, exactly where you carry boats down..have heard babies are more poisonous ,since they lack other defenses ,Anyone know if that is true?

Baby snake. Late at night is when they come out...

It's not that baby snakes are more venomous; they have the same venom as adult snakes. They have less of it because they're smaller. However; they don't have control of when they envenomate. An adult snake likely won't invenomate you if they bite you in defense. It takes energy to make the venom; they use it to kill small animals thay are going to eat. A baby snake bites and pretty much will invenomate. That is why they are potentially more dangerous, but not more venomous.

Most snake bites are on hands. Alcohol is often involved. It reminds me of my favorite Peggy quote about keeping your party safe. "When someone says, 'hold my beer,' you say, 'NO; don't do that.' "
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Denver, Colorado
nice Zappa reference..yea i just looked at snakes of Belize,although the fer de lance is super aggressive and bites a lot they do not usually envenomate you and you actually have a fair amount of time to get treatment..so you are not 'probly dead' ..the locals sometimes call them tres minutos ,3 minutes,so i thought you are effected right away.but that is apparently wrong...the photos of untreated bites are extremely gnarly..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Seattle, Washington
Man, I cannot believe Sawyer advertises their extractor kit for snake bites. The medical and EMS world has long since abandoned that practice. As a physician, I would 100% recommend an air evacuation in this scenario. While it is unpredictable how sick someone will get from a bite (yes a certain percentage will be dry bites), people do die, end up in the ICU, have to get their limbs filleted open due to something called compartment syndrome. The patients who die tend to be at the extremes of age - kids are more vulnerable due to their body weight. I would consider a snake bite way more legitimate than probably 90% of the emergency evacuations that take place.

Funny story. I have a friend who is an ER doc near Hood River. Some old timer, steelhead fisherman came off of the Deschutes (had been floating the lower section) with a snake bite to the hand. His hand was swollen up like a grapefruit. Of course, he was trying to be the hero and chase a snake out of camp with a stick. In the ER he was given the first dose of anti-venom and they planned to admit him to the hospital to finish the series of shots. He pondered this for a second but decided the steelhead run that Fall was too good, so he left against medical advice and went back to the river.
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

SLC, Utah
That's a funny story....??
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yeah. Patient made a choice AMA and decided to go fishing instead. Thatís funny.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote