Mountain Buzz banner

Rated M for motors

18K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  Whitewater Worthy Equip 
#1 ·
Here's our trip vid from the Grand last year. Kinda long.

We're hoping to add more motor folks to our trips. I know you're out there.

Raymo: Memorial day Cat?!?! Sounds like Yeager will be there too. He's looking forward to seeing you again and catching up. Our S is almost done...

https://youtu.be/AZAjKBosGRM

#2 ·
That was awesome! Thank you for sharing!
No such thing as to long of a Grand Canyon video, as far as I'm concerned:D
DUMPING again in the Colorado river head waters, hears to another awesome boating season!!

#3 ·
Bravo! This was a great video. Thanks for such effort putting this together. Many people have a gro pro and camera, but few take the time to make something like this. Also, I guess I won’t be a real motorman until I rock a sleeveless shirt!

Viva the motorized oar!

#4 ·
I don't know who was driving but that was a sweet move next to the big wall, swinging his nose back up stream than doing a slow 180°, than motoring away from the wall, nice move. May-June is high water month's for Cat, perfect water for the big-iron boats and so much fun. Enjoyed that great video. Thanks for sharing. Greg such a great guy, it's been a few years sense we've shared a bottle of JD together. My son-in-law's and daughters wanted me to go to Alaska over Memorial Day for some fishing also and I had to say no, my health is kicking my butt. So, thank you for the kind offer. Looking forward to the Cat video and that S rig your strapping together. We will have to get together with Greg and have a few cold ones, though.

#8 ·
ya'ller too kind. Thank you.

Raymo: That's Lloyd driving that boat. Heck of a boatman. He's bringing down some parts for the S this weekend. We'll be in Erie at our buddy's hangar on Saturday working on the S if you'd like to stop by. PM me and I'll give you the details.

tanderson: gun show on Cat!! I'll be breaking out the hillbilly tuxedo!

#13 ·
Yes, you are correct. 4 strokes have been required in GC for decades now...More of a comment about motorheads in general and the mention about Cat. Besides, I just like my 2 strokes better than my 4 strokes. They smell better :D Hope everyone has a blast on the flood, we don't have big water every year!

#17 ·
Give Mr. yardsells some time to post some pictures, I have been out to the airport hangar twice, their S-rig is comming along beautifully. It looks like an aircraft carrier next to their J3 Cub airplane in the back 40, behind the hangar. It's going to be one slick S-rig.

#33 ·
Well. Here's a video clip. A little dramatic but... hey, it's a big freaking boat.

https://youtu.be/TRncyeEy7sQ

Deee-e-cent!

Urethane or hypalon coating for the white?
No issues TIG welding over the rubber?

That's awesome. Serious rig.

Agree with teh other posters, great skill on the motor, too. Really appreciate the quickness with which you T'ed up to the big waves in Lava.

And also appreciate the quality of the edit.

#19 ·
Dang! And I thought our 22' snout was cool. Dam! Your S rig is a SERIOUS motor rig! Wowza! Curious - the front half of the frame - what are all the cross bars for? Structural support or are those giant removable tables??? Or structural supports topped with removable tables? At 0:22 it looks like you've got full size 8x4 banquet tables ready to roll. Impressive setup!

#21 ·
what are all the cross bars for? Structural support or are those giant removable tables??? Or structural supports topped with removable tables? At 0:22 it looks like you've got full size 8x4 banquet tables ready to roll. Impressive setup!
They're removable counter height tables that double as decks under way. We figured why not double duty those babies. They're kinda crude emt tubing but for the money, hard to beat.
That "banquet" table is actually just 24"x72" low table we use for dish washing. We did steal the legs of an old folding table we found in a dumpster...

#20 ·
Hi,

Nice looking rig. One quick comment/reaction.

On the J rigs I have seen, the transverse "weenie tube" was mounted down between the two big frame segments, to act as a hinge, rather than sitting on top them. What's the strategy here?

No criticism, just asking...

Rich Phillips

#22 ·
What's the strategy here?

Rich Phillips
Laziness... The 16" gap between the 2 frames is technically the "hinge".The perpendicular tube is called a crush tube which as it's name implies, keeps folks from getting crushed in the gap between the frames.
I picked up a crusty military roller tube, found an old leaky aircell, patched the aircell, threw zippers on the crush tube to facilitate the aircell install and that was about all the energy I had left. I figure it's length will work for now and if too many passengers complain, I'll consider cutting it down a little... Later.

#24 ·
Do you plan to run the Dick tubes all the time or just in flows above 80k?
I suppose we'll run em whenever they'll benefit the rig. I think part of the beauty of the S is the outrigger tubes. It's like al a carte. We can run them when we feel like it or maybe even remove them, throw some oar towers on and row her like Raymo used to in the day. I'd like to become a member of that club.

But first, I wanna smash huge waves with 12 of my closest non-motorized buddies sitting on top of 1 thousand pounds of cocktail ice, 2 inch thick Ribeyes, and my favorite Speyside.

#26 ·
Love it, having a motor rig for support can make certain trips great!

assuming that's a surplus 33? that would be a handful to row. Rowed a 27 once and it was a chore.

Was a commercial motorman on the upper CO and green years ago myself so it's neat to see some privates with the combustion oar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.