Rated M for motors - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2019   #81

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Send a message via AIM to MotorMan27 Send a message via MSN to MotorMan27 Send a message via Yahoo to MotorMan27
I once had the opportunity to assist a Tag-a-long group i was supposed to run the big drops with, right an 'A' rig that had gotten slapped around by a rogue wave in the North Sea at 78k. 3 boats worth of their crew & passengers, my swamper and me, plus a motor rig in the river pulling the other direction.... only took us about 3 hours after removing the weight we could get to. .... then we got to run the big drops alone late in the afternoon while they regrouped.

MotorMan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019   #82
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.
Just like throwing a patch on anything else while on the river, the size of the boat doesn't change the technique. I have gotten away with putting patch material over a hole the size of a dime and holding it in place with a cam strap, then re-inflating the tube. held air for a week without a top off.

Quote:
Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?
Commercially we always had fixed transoms, the technique was to grab the motor and pivot it out of danger when necessary. You always have a spare and you learn how to rebuild a lower unit.

Quote:
Have you ever flipped one? I imagine they would be a nightmare to try to right.
We would practice it in the yard but never had to do it on the water. They are pretty stable boats, especially when outfitted with the dick tubes. I have seen pictures of Georgia White trips with flipped G rigs, talk about a mess
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #83

Calgary, Alberta
Love this thread... I definitely can't afford it but I'd love to have one.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019   #84

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Send a message via AIM to MotorMan27 Send a message via MSN to MotorMan27 Send a message via Yahoo to MotorMan27
Yardsells do you know anyplace to pick up a dependable mariner 30? I currently have a solid set of Tohatsu 30 4-strokes but I'd like to get a mariner 30 for big water in Cat bc nothing runs under water like a mariner.
MotorMan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #85

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Two river guides, diving in the river for the same quarter with their life jackets on, run under the water better than a mariner, during a slow tip season.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #86

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMan27 View Post
Yardsells do you know anyplace to pick up a dependable mariner 30? I currently have a solid set of Tohatsu 30 4-strokes but I'd like to get a mariner 30 for big water in Cat bc nothing runs under water like a mariner.
No. I know a bunch of folks than own them but none getting rid of any.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote