Rated M for motors - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2019   #71

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMan27 View Post
Btw.... check out "Grand Canyon red white and blue" on YouTube, it's a video of my buddy and i motoring Crystal.
Your buddy looks like Brent.

yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019   #72

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
#1. Generally just because folks have a motor, doesn't mean they're dicks. Although just like row boats, there are dicks out there. I wouldn't cut in front of your friend in a line at the grocery store and I hate being the guy who gets angry at the "late merge" folks in traffic but I do.

I'm a motor guy, but not a WW motor guy. Can't say how much I appreciate this thread and everything you've all shared, from technique, to video, to ethics.

If I'm lucky enough to get on the Grand, I'll be in a dory.

If I ever see you on the river, beer's on me.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #73

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Send a message via AIM to MotorMan27 Send a message via MSN to MotorMan27 Send a message via Yahoo to MotorMan27
My buddy is Brent. .... every freaking body knows him.... some day he'll be in books and talked about along with powel, kolb, georgie. Lol
MotorMan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019   #74

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Funny thing, I was devout oars only a mere 6 years ago. In fact, I donated to those anti-motor non-profits. I accidentally discovered the motor world. I will say that the motor-heads and associates are some of the best river folk I've met and ran with.

More than not, motor rigs are ran by very experienced rivermen and riverwomen that have years and years of running rivers coupled with great river etiquette and stories.

When I pass row trips, I sometimes offer crisp cold beverages as a token of appreciation. After all, I have 400+beers!

We always ask them where they are heading to and navigate according to their destination.

Motor rigs suck out of water but are heaven on.

tda
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #75

Calgary, Alberta
That video was awesome!

I have questions:

How many days do you take for a grand trip?

How much gas are you using, and how do you store it?

Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.

Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #76

Calgary, Alberta
Another question...

Have you ever flipped one? I imagine they would be a nightmare to try to right.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #77

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
When I pass row trips, I sometimes offer crisp cold beverages as a token of appreciation. After all, I have 400+beers!
tda
I sometimes bring a freezer and offer row trips frozen margarita popsicles.
Old 04-24-2019   #78

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
How many days do you take for a grand trip?
When we're strictly motor boats, we can take up to 12 days to Diamond.
If we're support and qualify for Hybrid status, we can take up to 14 days to Diamond.

Quote:
How much gas are you using, and how do you store it?
I typically carry 35 gallons in my fuel tank which in the video is located in front of me under my ammo cans and pelican. I can easily run Lee's to Pearce with 15-18 gallons to spare.

Quote:
Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.
I have not put a hole in my tubes. The neoprene fabric is pretty thick on these things. I've also encapsulated my tubes with System 6 so they're even more stiff than usual but definitely burly. I did have a valve boot crack and leak last year but I was able to limp it down the river, which is always plan A with these things...

Quote:
Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?
I run a manual jackass on my boat which allows me to raise the motor to varying depths without changing the angle. I have a couple buddies that don't run jackasses. I think that's the trend commercially too.
Jackasses seem to fall into the pin and clip vs. oar right type argument.

Quote:
I have not flipped one in the wild. I've practice re-flipping it at home. I've seen pictures of them upside down and talked to folks that have had to deal with that situation. It isn't pretty.

I carry come-a-longs, mechanical advantage gear, Xanax and whisky just in case...
Old 04-24-2019   #79

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Nice thinking.

Quote:
Another question...

The standard rigging of 28 ft. to 33 ft. Pontoon boats in the day's was to have two wood frames made of 2x6's about 8 ft to 10 ft long, layed on top of the pontoon's and a four section plywood floor, with hinges along each section of the floor and suspended by chain's from the frame's to hold the floor half way up the tubes. The story I was told about two week after it happened was Outward Bound flipped a 33 footer, without outriggers in Warm Spring rapid. To flip it back over they removed the four section plywood floor and unloaded the cargo from the bottom of the boat, deflated one side of the boat halfway and flipped it back over. Nice thinking on their part. Whiskey was probably on the dinner menu that night for sure.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #80

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quite a while ago, my friend that bought an 18’ Shoshone, told me that he was going to write the word “ Fuck” on the bottom of the boat, because “ if this boat is upside down, FUCK!”

With a snout, J, or S, I can only imagine!!!