Rated M for motors - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfehagen View Post
Aired her up today. Appears to mostly hold air. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Tubes are a bit rough and frame has numerous cracks. Frame goes to get stripped tomorrow so I can begin to address the bad welds.
Confident that I finish first in any ugly boat contest.
Weld up the cracks, add some gussets, slap on a coat of paint and smash some high water Cat.

I'd rock the piss out of that boat with a big floppy hat and mai tai.

BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #62

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
Weld up the cracks, add some gussets, slap on a coat of paint and smash some high water Cat.

Amen!!
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #63

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post

That is exactly the plan. May 31st launch. Any motors care to join? Or oars for that matter. Planning 6 days.
pwolfehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #64

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Those look like surplus to me and not DIB tubes as the Craiglist post said. Still, helluva score and I think I'm totally jealous!!

Quote:
Aired her up today. Appears to mostly hold air. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Tubes are a bit rough and frame has numerous cracks. Frame goes to get stripped tomorrow so I can begin to address the bad welds.
Confident that I finish first in any ugly boat contest.
AZJefe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
That is exactly the plan. May 31st launch. Any motors care to join? Or oars for that matter. Planning 6 days.
I'd love to but I'm taking out of Cat on the 29th and then have a Grand launch 2 weeks later. I'd be cutting it too close for my wife's comfort level...
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #66

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMan27 View Post
I'm a proud owner of a 27' pontoon.... working on some snout tubes for big Cats. If my middle fork trip doesn't go off in June bc of high water I'll be diverting to Cat bc 80k there doesn't scare me like 7ft on the middle fork.
Throw some sweeps on that 27 and get nasty on the fork!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #67

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Send a message via AIM to MotorMan27 Send a message via MSN to MotorMan27 Send a message via Yahoo to MotorMan27
I rowed several yampas on a 27 commercially.... they were different beasts though... we called them 'spider boats' as they were much lighter than the 27's we motored. Even raced the holiday boys on island park.... a race I'd easily win unless the wind got over 2 mph.
MotorMan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #68

how do you motor guys resist the temptation to zoom ahead of the honest folks on oar trips and steal their prime campsites they rowed hard all day for? just askin for a friend...
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #69

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Send a message via AIM to MotorMan27 Send a message via MSN to MotorMan27 Send a message via Yahoo to MotorMan27
There are a few scoundrels that do that in the GC I'm sure but the 2x I've motored the GC we were on hybrid trips and always communicated with the groups around us so camps weren't a problem. Cat is a lot different animal.... if you are down there without a motor of some kind you need your head examined and deserve to be aced out of a camp. Lol

Btw.... check out "Grand Canyon red white and blue" on YouTube, it's a video of my buddy and i motoring Crystal. Cavitation caused me to miss the cut and i put the ladies right in the bowels of the nail.
MotorMan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #70

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBoater View Post
how do you motor guys resist the temptation to zoom ahead of the honest folks on oar trips and steal their prime campsites they rowed hard all day for? just askin for a friend...
#1. Generally just because folks have a motor, doesn't mean they're dicks. Although just like row boats, there are dicks out there. I wouldn't cut in front of your friend in a line at the grocery store and I hate being the guy who gets angry at the "late merge" folks in traffic but I do.

#2. Since we do wield tremendous power, we prioritize working with human powered trips. I also row/paddle. I have a Pro, Adventurer, and a Scout. I understand the perception of some row boaters and I empathize. Our motor group will slowly approach the last boat in a pod and ask if we can play through, generally discuss how their trip is going and talk about their camp plans and mileage hopes. Since our motor group are also row people, we strategize the least invasive way to pass the trip and execute in the most efficient manner. Once we're past the pod a reasonable distance, we barge up and discuss intel from the group we just passed and whether we need to modify our camp plans.

#3. It's funny how your friend's perception is that row boaters are honest and motor folks are not. I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience with a river motor person but rest assured, we're not all like that.