Rated M for motors - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #41

Hi,

For me, the sweet spot was 20 foot 36 inch Jack's Plastic El Tigre Grande tubes, with a frame I worked up myself with NRS fittings.

Rowed or motored nicely, as these Lava pictures show. Loved that boat, but I'm a bit past my prime now, and it is in someone else's good hands.

I admit freely, however, to lusting a little over that rig in Flag...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1225 294_edited-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	33889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lava Falls 2340.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	33891  

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #42

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Nice shots in Lava!

Has anyone seen the rig in Flag that is for sale??? I emailed and asked for more pics, but never heard back - we are trying to grow our snout squad. If it is a legit frame and tubes for $2500, that’s a great deal. But if the tubes are anything like our original tubes they might be worthless. Our original tubes were so old and required daily topping off, sometimes mid day topping off. We got lucky and scored a still crated set of tubes by a chance run in on a Cat trip. But even if that rig is crap tubes and a decent frame - might be worth it for just the frame.
akgrowntoyotagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #43

Hi,

Would be a little light for a 22 foot full snout, but a converted regular boat trailer worked well for my intermediate sized rig.

Removed the tilt arms, put in some crossbraces, and then added longitudinal carpeted platforms on either side for the tubes to rest on.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 001_1555436913397.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	33893   Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 002_1555436973950.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	33895  

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #44

Durango, Colorado
Cool! Thanks for the pics! I’ve been eyeing some pontoon boat trailers. Neat to see you adapted a regular boat trailer for your setup.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #45

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Move the valves to the other side of the tube. Iím moving mine in a couple weeks. Iím sure somebody has photos of thereís moved. I have been more freaked out on the valves shearing than any of the rapids or rock dodging Iíve done.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #46

Phoenix, Arizona
Just closed the deal on the flagstaff.craigslist boat. Driving to Page for pickup later this week. Will post some photos when I get her back to the shop. Look forward to hanging with some motor people.
pwolfehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #47

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
For me, the sweet spot was 20 foot 36 inch Jack's Plastic El Tigre Grande tubes, with a frame I worked up myself with NRS fittings.

Rowed or motored nicely, as these Lava pictures show. Loved that boat, but I'm a bit past my prime now, and it is in someone else's good hands.

Cool "dualsport" rig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfehagen View Post
Just closed the deal on the flagstaff.craigslist boat. Driving to Page for pickup later this week. Will post some photos when I get her back to the shop. Look forward to hanging with some motor people.

This crew is apparently a buncha enablers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgrowntoyotagal View Post
I am specifically curious about what trailers everyone is running and what your frame setups are. I love thinking and planning and dreaming of frame setups, is that weird?

Our setup was inherited and weíve been working to improve it, but my least favorite part is the trailer. I think it is a legit trailer park trailer house trailer and is horrible. But it works for now and itís what weíve got. I dream of a better built trailer that we could have an easier time loading and unloading the boat.

How about a pontoon boat trailer?

Trailer house axles/wheels/brakes are awful. They're designed to make a single 1,000 mile trip and then get scrapped. Bad bearings that are uncommon sizes, uncommon 14.5" tires, strange wheels with Dayton hubs. Simply installing new axles with common brakes/wheels would be a significant upgrade...but a good deal on a used pontoon trailer would probably be a better investment.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #48

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfehagen View Post
Excellent! I don't think we can wait till you get her back to your shop. Snap some photos in Page AZ and post them up here on the Buzz. We're so bad.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #49

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
Move the valves to the other side of the tube. Iím moving mine in a couple weeks. Iím sure somebody has photos of thereís moved. I have been more freaked out on the valves shearing than any of the rapids or rock dodging Iíve done.
😲 Moving the valves! Genius! I never even thought about that! Now Iíd love to hear whoís done it, how hard it was and if they had any problems relocating them. And of course pics are always a bonus!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #50

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
How about a pontoon boat trailer?

Trailer house axles/wheels/brakes are awful. They're designed to make a single 1,000 mile trip and then get scrapped. Bad bearings that are uncommon sizes, uncommon 14.5" tires, strange wheels with Dayton hubs. Simply installing new axles with common brakes/wheels would be a significant upgrade...but a good deal on a used pontoon trailer would probably be a better investment.
Yes, thatís what Iíve been leaning towards - a pontoon boat trailer, but I was curious if anyone else is running them. Oh my, yes - weíve had our share of the above listed problems. Had our bearings burn up on one trip - removed the wheel and strapped up the axel - thankful we alteast have dual axels. The wheels are the weirdest wheels Iíve ever seen. As we are dealing with motor issues amidst our prep for a Grand trip, we had to make the decision to refurb our current trailer, but I still like to research and see what some other options might be.

I took my share of screenshots from yardsells YT video trying to identify their trailers and scoping out their frame setups - figured Iíd post the question here instead of trying to play YT screenshot detective. 😝