Rapid Survival System - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2017   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Rapid Survival System

North Water is a great company that makes some innovative safety products in Vancouver, BC for whitewater boaters and SAR professionals. I've been to their manufacturing facility as it's near my work and I own some of their products and they are top notch. This appears to be another good one for those who run big water who want another safety tool in their tool belt. I must note I stand to gain nothing from endorsing this...

https://northwater.com/collections/r...ts/rss-model-w

When you check out the link above go to "media" and their are several videos you can watch on how it works.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Meh, not a bad concept but needs some work.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
To save money and consolidate my stuff maybe I'll just wear my ABS pack on the river. Now I can get a full 12 months use out of that thing.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yak1- I'm with ya.

I thought it looked really neat when I first saw it, but when I saw how it deploys- to the end of a tether- I wasn't super impressed. Think of having to try to fumble about for a tether that's hooked ON YOUR BACK to pull in the flotation that you so desperately need IN FRONT of you.

I also wasn't that impressed with the size/location of the package. It really looks to me like it's in the way on the side below the PFD. Especially on a not so tall person, like the woman in the warehouse demonstrating it on their website.

Solve these two issues, and I really like it. Picture this: Same deal once it's inflated, but instead of a compact pouch, what if it were housed in a long skinny belt. When it inflates, it rolls out of that belt 270 degrees around you, and the inside of the crescent is attached to the belt all the way around the 270 degrees. No reaching for a tether or pulling it in, it simply inflates securely around your waist. And the package is much more streamlined, since it is longer.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #5
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Yak1- I'm with ya.

I thought it looked really neat when I first saw it, but when I saw how it deploys- to the end of a tether- I wasn't super impressed. Think of having to try to fumble about for a tether that's hooked ON YOUR BACK to pull in the flotation that you so desperately need IN FRONT of you.

I also wasn't that impressed with the size/location of the package. It really looks to me like it's in the way on the side below the PFD. Especially on a not so tall person, like the woman in the warehouse demonstrating it on their website.

Solve these two issues, and I really like it. Picture this: Same deal once it's inflated, but instead of a compact pouch, what if it were housed in a long skinny belt. When it inflates, it rolls out of that belt 270 degrees around you, and the inside of the crescent is attached to the belt all the way around the 270 degrees. No reaching for a tether or pulling it in, it simply inflates securely around your waist. And the package is much more streamlined, since it is longer.
your idea sounds great! and I completely agree. Now Quick! patent that idea! :-p
Old 05-09-2017   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't the airlines make something like this that just turns in to a high flat pfd?

Seems like we could have low profile pfd, pull the tab and have them expand to really high floatation. Just don't swim more than once in a day, or you'll need to carry extra co2 cartridges.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #7

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I really can't see it being effective while you're getting pummeled in a big hole. Not only finding the activation knob but trying to get a hold of the float as you're being recirculated. Back to the drawing board boys and girls it's not a bad concept but needs lots of work and you need to find a guinea pig and a big grabby hole to throw them in. Then take videos.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Don't the airlines make something like this that just turns in to a high flat pfd?

Seems like we could have low profile pfd, pull the tab and have them expand to really high floatation. Just don't swim more than once in a day, or you'll need to carry extra co2 cartridges.
NRS already makes that...

NRS Big Kahuna Inflatable PFD at nrs.com

This Rapid Survival System has its obvious flaws but I think the big one is that it costs $625. That is definitely priced "For professionals" i.e. governmental agencies and not for the average river user. I'm sure some could afford it, but the average paddler doesn't have the budget for that big of an outlay for a piece of rescue gear.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #9

Why not incorporate something thats on your existing pfd that you activate and it inflates kinda like that avalanche thing for skiing to give you more flotation.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Spendy too. I concur that it doesn't seem that functional for whitewater. Maybe better suited as a backup device for sea kayakers doing open water crossings. Maybe they'll sponsor me on my next intercontinental expedition. I'll attach it to my flask just in case it falls overboard.