Raft Storage - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Day Ago   #1

BOZEMAN, United States
Paddling Since: 1988
Raft Storage

So I live in Montana and usually store my boat on the trailer covered and ready to go but recently got some new rubber and don't have the heart to leave it outside. Looking for ideas on how to store my boat in the garage without the trailer? Thinking about some sort of winch setup and hang from the ceiling so the wife can still park inside. Any ideas or storage solutions are welcome. Thanks!

Mtflygiy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23 Hours Ago   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I built my boat a house (enclosed carport off the garage) and put a 1 ton HF hoist in the ceiling in a shored up bay. I can hoist my boat off the trailer no problem with a couple straps running to the corners of my frame for when I need the trailer, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same with boards or a platform for support for longer term storage in a garage.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could always de-rig and roll it up if you don't want to build a special boathouse. I heard of somebody doing that one time. I guess that we're even having this discussion is a sign of how spoiled we are these days...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18 Hours Ago   #4

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2012
I hoist my boats to the ceiling using four Tuf-Tug block and tackles (one at each corner of the boat straight section), and then ratchet strap for added safety and security. The block and tackles have a locking system that, while not perfect, do a pretty good job.

I anchor the block and tackles and the ratchet straps to the ceiling joists using slotted angle, the kind used to hang garage doors. Each piece of slotted angle is bolted multiple joists to distribute the load.

Tuf-Tug block and tackle: https://www.zoro.com/tuf-tug-block-a...00/i/G2738775/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA090748.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	907.8 KB
ID:	39897   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA090749.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	798.4 KB
ID:	39899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA090750.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	912.7 KB
ID:	39901  
dsafarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Storage

What type of boat is it? PVC?

I was concerned about my PVC boat being inflated for some time but after a good talk with AIRE it became clear that their inventory is not inflated, it is rolled up. New boats, rolled up. They don't seam too concerned about boats being rolled for a few months/winter. Years well maybe but not a few months. I have loosely rolled my boat the last few winters and have had zero issues with it.
pmillerblaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
dsafarik:
Your boat storage kung-fu is strong.
yardsells is online now   Reply With Quote