Raft floor fabrication - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2017   #1

Victor, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1987
Raft floor fabrication

I am trying to find a company that could fabricate a new floor for an old PVC Mariavia self bailing drop stitch floor raft. My old floor was ripped on a rock and repaired by Maravia several years ago. This past summer, the floor developed a bubble that is spreading up underneath the rower, and has made the area behind the rower mostly unusable. I will probably need to replace the floor. Maravia and Jacks Plastic Welding quoted me between $1800 and $2000 for a new floor. Does anyone know any companies that could fabricate a replacement floor a that might be less expensive?

jgade6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Might be worth asking RMR, they would probly be the cheapest is they can offer that.
You could also try Star inflatables.
Old 01-22-2017   #3

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 95
Try SOTAR, they supply a drop stitch floor.
mcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Pretty sure Star has the most affordable floors. PM me and I'll give you Mike's, the US face of Star, contact info.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
What size boat is it? I have retrofitted a couple old maravias with RMR floors. The floors run from about 650 to 900 and install is typically 3-400 hours depending on how well it fits and what needs to be done to get it in there.
Old 01-22-2017   #6

North Fork Valley, Colorado
I have a an RMR dropstitch floor that is used but in excellent condition. It came out of a 16' raft. I would be willing to sell it. It has maybe 10-12 days on it. Message me if interested.
finnbr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I believe that RMR will not sell a floor by its self. I wanted to put in a drop stitch floor into my older RMR raft and they said it couldnt be done.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
your best bet is probably ditching the boat and buying a new RMR drop stitch for about the same price as a replacement floor
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
You can paint the floor with system 6 PVC urethane. Put it on thick with a roller and you should get anther 5 years out of the floor for $300. I did this to an old Maravia floor and it work for me. As for new, I would suggest going with a maravia floor only. I would not mix and match. 2k seems reasonable for a floor. Then 20 bucks of webbing and lace that baby up. Its easy to lace in a Maravia floor.

Or, get a guide all drunk and swap floors, Haha hehe - no don't do that..
Old 01-23-2017   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Tres, RMR will definitely sell floors separately. I assume the reason they said it wouldnt work in your older RMR boat is that the dimensions of the floor and the grommet hole patterns have changed significantly. It could probably be made to work but it wouldn't be an unlace the old floor, lace in the new floor event. It would involve significant retrofitting.

DBK, While urethane can work wonders, urethane is not going to solve his problem. He is having dropstitch failure not abraision or air holding issues. Its kind of like if you have all of your i beams fail. The interior of the boat will be filled up with floor.