PVC Welding - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

little rock, Arkansas
PVC Welding

I have two Aire Landing Pads, one of which leaks like a sieve and the other of which has just started to. Both have taken on water. The newer one isn't too bad but the older one weighs a ton and I fear will require surgery to truly be functional again. So, like any self respecting boater I've resolved to use this situation as an excuse to buy a new toy, in this case a PVC welder, provided I can source one that's not too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good option at a price point that will make sense for an infrequent DIYer? Also love to hear any advice anyone might have regarding PVC welding.

My tentative plan is to slice the pad open and remove the foam so I can effectively dry it (I tried Aire's recommendation with limited success) then put the foam back and weld a strip of PVC over the cut - that's the plan anyway.

I welcome critiques, harangues or anything else on offer regarding this tentative plan.

lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Don't know of a "cheap" plastic welder, but I fixed two Paco pads with same problem a few years back just by slitting open the end opposite the valve, drying foam and reducing overall size by a couple of inches, then re-glueing with Clifton's (and a clamp). Held up so far... but don't let this stop you if you're on the hunt for a plastic welder!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Okay, good to know because that's my back-up plan. It's disappointing that these pads have taken on so much water. I really don't know how it happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Jack's pads tend to wear through on the corners, and that's where the water gets in. They fix them by welding an 'abrasion patch' on that protects the original corners. Wouldn't surprise me if you're having the same issue. I believe Jack's website has instructions too if you want a second opinion, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Just don't forget to address the corners after you get the pad dried out and the cover closed up.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Yeah, the corners are definitely toast and I can certainly understand how water would find its way in there. The older pad also has some other significant wear spots and is generally in bad shape. The mystery is this.

I removed the pads from my truck bed (camper shell) last spring to discover the older one was completely waterlogged. Its only exposure to water was a day trip down a II-/II river strapped to the river table across the raft. It never left the boat. My GF and I both tried to come up with a scenario we felt could've caused the foam to become that soaked but neither of us could.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
new foam

I had the same issue when some kiddos used my pad to float in an eddy with the valve open - you'll never get out all of the water. The Aire foam isn't really a high quality foam, so I got online and ordered 1 sheet of soft and firm foam and then contact adhesive'd them together. I went with a thicker overall foam than Aire uses and cut the new foam a few inches narrower. I then slit open the top of the pad 6" from the top and sides, replaced the foam and glued on a patch. Pretty easy overall and much cheaper than buying a new overpriced Paco. Of course Paco's suck in comparison to an Exped Mega Mat when it comes to comfort.
ciggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Think I'm gonna try out the RM Crash Pad. I like that it has handles which should discourage dragging, and the valve is on the side which seems like it would make it less susceptible to water intrusion if it does happen to be left open (mine wasn't; I always make sure).
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Welding might not be the best option for worn PVC. I’ve talked to Jacks plastic before, about welding more D-rings to my boat and they do all of the aftermarket work by gluing, not welding. Maybe you can weld old pvc, but I would talk to somebody like Aire about it, first.

The method used at work on the water logged Maravia pads, involves weeks of hanging with the valve pointed down, and a fan, don’t think it gets it all out. (Don't think it’s the pads fault, either, drunk guides doing pack pad races...)

If you decide to operate, it probably makes sense replace the foam, to, like C.B. Said. And add some corner condoms, they are just a circle of pvc, folded, and glued in place, super simple.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
I have a wendy energy ht 1600. It came with a roller too. It took some practice to figure out the heat:speed. Seems to work well. I've had it for 4 years now and it still works.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Weldy...stupid auto spell