Prop DD - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-19-2019   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Prop DD

I keep seeing this saying it would protect Colorado's water but it doesnt say how. Any insight on this cause it appears to me to say more dams and water retention projects. Its only 29 million a year but that could easily be used for a bond payment for projects. Sounds bogus to me but then what do i know. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
As you suggest, "what is DD really about?". Who sponsored this? Who decides what to do with the $$$$$$. Farmers? Developers? Republicans? I don't trust any of these groups to do what is right for water conservation, rivers, wildlife or Coloradans in general. Sorry farmers and developers, I know what you want. Republicans....., well, never mind.

I'd prefer to know very specifically what I'm voting for even though I am a very strong advocate of sin taxes to cover the costs to society for societal harms and voluntary taxes to satisfy some ones stupidity to pay for societal betterment and punishment taxes to just generally say you are an idiot(such as gambling in general).

Any insights on DD would be appreciated. Otherwise, I say vote NO to undefined "water projects". So far it seems to be worded for suckers to vote yes. On this I'm willing to change my mind with enlightenment about the objective of DD.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019   #3
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
More I look into this, there is a water plan thats goals sound good for the Colorado river but it does not specify any real plan.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I did a little reading up on it and its certainly pretty vague but what is clear is that the funds, after paying for some gambling habits counselling and administering the division of sports betting, the rest goes to the Water Plan Implementation Cash Fund which is administered by the Colorado Water Conservancy Board.

This article does a pretty good job of explaining where the money will go and what it could be used for...

https://www.aspenjournalism.org/2019...oes-that-mean/

Seems like a large emphasis is on managing the water and maintaining the flow out of Colorado into Lake Powell and beyond. This could mean water conservation efforts, paying water rights holder to give up their share and leave it in the river and a lot of other things.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019   #5

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Who decides what to do with the $$$$$$. Farmers? Developers? Republicans? I don't trust any of these groups to do what is right for water conservation, rivers, wildlife or Coloradans in general. Sorry farmers and developers, I know what you want. Republicans....., well, never mind.

Blind rage and derangement syndrome?

You should probably bother to do the smallest amount of research before you vomit up anymore diarrhea of the keyboard.

Perhaps remove the beam in your own eye before you disparage others.

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Blind rage and derangement syndrome?

You should probably bother to do the smallest amount of research before you vomit up anymore diarrhea of the keyboard.

Perhaps remove the beam in your own eye before you disparage others.

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."
Don't be so coy, tell us how you really feel!
Infidien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019   #7

Golden, Colorado
Thank you EM for the 'enlightening' article. Considering the sponsors, most supporters and stated purposes this article defines; this "smallest amount of research" as noahfecks suggested leads me to support DD. But what a back ass-ward way to fund a good cause. The stated purposes are so important that they should be completely funded($100m) directly perhaps by water use taxes or property taxes. Better this tax raising $16m from gambling half-wits then no funds at all; a sin/voluntary/punishment tax to pay for hopefully a good cause.

I'm concerned that some future administration might direct the money into 'nefarious' activity such as what the current EPA and Interior departments are doing with regard to subverting their better purposes resulting in the corruption of these organizations. As long as Colorado stays purple to blue then we can perhaps count on these $$$$$'s being used for a good cause and not used for sucking rivers dry.
Old 10-20-2019   #8
Summit Paddler

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Proposition DD provides a funding mechanism for the Colorado Water Plan. This is a very comprehensive document that is the result of 10 years of negotiation/collaboration between 9 different river basins. Among other things, it provides funding for river restoration, protecting flows for recreational use, and meeting Colorado’s legal obligations to provide water in the Colorado River for downstream states.
copyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019   #9

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
As long as Colorado stays purple to blue then we can perhaps count on these $$$$$'s being used for a good cause and not used for sucking rivers dry.

Tribalism = a complete lack of objectivity. If you think that both sides don't steal from the peoples coffers to line their pockets you are a fool. Plenty of examples out there of D's shifting funds to fleece the people or fund pet projects.

You know what would actually prevent these funds from being misappropriated in the future? People abandoning the my side/your side mentality and taking an objective look at politicians and policies regardless of the letter that follows. Doing some research before you form an opinion, and not spreading unverified crap every chance you get.

I will remain against this bill because there are too many Ron's out there for this plan to work. The funds will never go to support the work they tell us it will. Hey by the way, where is all the pot money?
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019   #10

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Tribalism = a complete lack of objectivity. If you think that both sides don't steal from the peoples coffers to line their pockets you are a fool. Plenty of examples out there of D's shifting funds to fleece the people or fund pet projects.

You know what would actually prevent these funds from being misappropriated in the future? People abandoning the my side/your side mentality and taking an objective look at politicians and policies regardless of the letter that follows. Doing some research before you form an opinion, and not spreading unverified crap every chance you get.

I will remain against this bill because there are too many Ron's out there for this plan to work. The funds will never go to support the work they tell us it will. Hey by the way, where is all the pot money?
noahfecks, we always seem to be on opposite sides of the fence.

Yawn....

Please, we are trying to have an adult conversation here where someone can state an opinion based on limited information, and respectfully change an opinion based on new information. The info in my mailed ballot and associated primer is understandable, very limited. I welcome new information.

Please give me some new information other than tribalism the result of simple baiting. If "R's" did anything other than disable environmental(river, wildlife and human-kind) protections, destroy the inheritance of our children and trending toward screwing me as a retired or middle income professional; I might have more interest in your thoughts regarding D's vs R's.

Considering that, Colorado is blue, at worst purple and hopefully red is dead.

Considering that Putin has a "red" association; oh, well, never mind.