Paddling Since: 1974
Andy, do you now support DD?

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
No. I'm sick of having to sell our souls to get money for what should be standard government-funded things like critical water infrastructure. I oppose sports gambling. Why should we allow one more thing that ruins lives and families just so we can fund things we need anyway? I'm close to someone who grew up in a family of a gambling addict. The father had a well-paying job but the family was destitute because of his gambling habit. Except when he won big, then after he paid the loansharks and overdue bills he'd come home with boxes of pizza and sodas for the family.

Look at it this way - What would you think if someone said that if we legalized heroin, part of the taxes raised would go to fund pre-school childrens' health care? Would you support that?

This is what TABOR's brought us to.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The money in the State Water plan is an effort to plan for demand management among other things. Each basin round table cake up with their own sections. Colorado Water law is very clear on priority dates and methods of diversions and use for each water right. However, that doesn’t mean that the priority dates provide a logical method able to sustain societies. Colorado is signatory to the Colorado River Compact (~1922) with all CO river states and which defines how much water must get To Lee’s Ferry.

I believe a good portion of this money will allow for compensation to farmers who temporarily fallow fields ensuring that we meet our state line and Lee’s Ferry flow requirements. If we don’t, then the Feds get involved in state water appropriations... by curtailing them.

Vote Yes! This primarily stems from how to handle the results of climate change. Increasing populations don’t help.
JLorimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Fix TABOR!
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Tabor isn't broken!
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Hi Noahfecks, we meet again.

For once we agree. Tabor is functioning as intended, which is to destroy representative government we americans are so proud of and forcing our legislators to choose between underfunding education, underfunding infrastructure, underfunding social programs, underfunding parks/recreation/lands,wildlife, etc, etc. After years of this underfunding Colorado now ranks last and very poorly in all of these catagories by many measures.

Now we are faced with poor choices such as legalizing a form of gambling to underfund improving our river ecology and water supply.

Vote yes on CC and DD!
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Actually the purpose of Tabor is to force the politicians to have good ideas that will work before they come to the taxpayer and request additional money. They don't need any other bills to properly fund any of the projects you brought up, just the spine to come to the taxpayer with a clean proposal and a plan to actually fix the things that they broke before we write the check.

There have been several other times they have come to the voters with ideas to increase taxes and it has passed. The reality is that they squandered the money, again I ask, where is the pot money? Did they fix schools? Are our roads any better? Blown on foolish, unnecessary endeavors like art walks and cultural diversity. Now they want a blank check with no accountability, why don't you give me Peg's wallet and I will let you know how much I needed after it's all spent.

Social programs are not underfunded, but the unchecked flow of freeloaders are putting a strain on the system.

Liberals measure success by how many people their programs help, conservatives by how many people no longer need them.
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
The reality is that they squandered the money, again I ask, where is the pot money? Did they fix schools? Are our roads any better? Blown on foolish, unnecessary endeavors like art walks and cultural diversity.
That information is publicly available. I'm not saying every dollar of marijuana tax revenue is being used in the best possible way... only that the information of where it is going is out there if you care to read it, and I don't see any evidence of it being allocated for things like art walks.

 First, the regular state sales tax (2.9 percent) is collected on consumer goods. While this tax was initially collected on both medical and retail marijuana sales, retail marijuana was exempted from this tax through S.B. 17-267. Since July 1, 2017, the general state sales tax has only applied to sales of medical marijuana and non-marijuana products (i.e., t-shirts and other novelty items). General sales tax revenue related to marijuana is credited to the Marijuana Tax Cash Fund (MTCF) and is used to support a variety of state programs and services. The allocation of money in this fund is discussed in more detail below.

 Second, a special sales tax (15.0 percent) is collected on retail (but not medical) marijuana sales. Of the total amount collected annually, 10.0 percent is allocated to local governments based on the percentage of such revenues collected within the boundaries for each local government. The remaining 90.0 percent state share of special sales tax revenues is allocated among three funds:
1- 71.85 percent is transferred to the MTCF and annually appropriated for a variety of programs and services;
2- 12.59 percent is transferred to the State Public School Fund and may be appropriated to the Department of Education for the State’s share of total program funding for school districts and institute charter schools6; and
3- 15.56 percent is retained in the General Fund and is thus available for appropriation in the fiscal year in which it is collected.

 Third, a marijuana excise tax (15.0 percent) is applied to the average market wholesale price of the product being sold or otherwise transferred from a retail marijuana cultivation facility. The average market wholesale prices are periodically set by the Department of Revenue’s Marijuana Enforcement Division. As required by the State Constitution, the first $40.0 million of excise tax revenue raised annually from retail marijuana wholesale products is credited to the Public School Capital Construction Assistance Fund (PSCCAF). Money in this fund helps pay for local K-12 school construction projects through the Building Excellent Schools Today (BEST) program, which is administered through the Colorado Department of Education. Pursuant to H.B. 18-1070, starting in FY 2018-19, the greater of $40.0 million or 90.0 percent of excise tax revenue will be credited to the PSCCAF. Any excise tax revenue that exceeds the amount transferred to the PSCCAF is credited to the Public School Fund, which is a constitutionally created fund that generates income to support public K-12 schools. From FY 2013-14 through FY 2016-17, a total of $141.0 million from marijuana excise tax revenues has been credited to these two funds, including $107.0 million to the PSCCAF8 and $34.0 million to the Public School Fund.

The breakdown of the distribution of the Marijuana Cash Tax Fund is available here starting on page 580:

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/defau...9apprept_0.pdf

but essentially $132 million is divided up amongst The Department of Agriculture, The Department of Education, The Governor's office, Health Care Policy and Financing, Higher Education, Human Services, Judicial, Labor and Employment, Local Law Enforcement, Affordable Housing Grants, Public Health and Environment, Public Safety, Regulatory Agencies and Transportation.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
IN FACT, I can validate that between $5-10k of that has come to Chaffee County each of the last 3 years and been granted to a non-profit I volunteer for to take underprivileged youth out on field trips like hiking in Browns Canyon and fishing the Arkansas River...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #40

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Actually the purpose of Tabor is to force the politicians to have good ideas that will work before they come to the taxpayer and request additional money. They don't need any other bills to properly fund any of the projects you brought up, just the spine to come to the taxpayer with a clean proposal and a plan to actually fix the things that they broke before we write the check.

There have been several other times they have come to the voters with ideas to increase taxes and it has passed. The reality is that they squandered the money, again I ask, where is the pot money? Did they fix schools? Are our roads any better? Blown on foolish, unnecessary endeavors like art walks and cultural diversity. Now they want a blank check with no accountability, why don't you give me Peg's wallet and I will let you know how much I needed after it's all spent.

Social programs are not underfunded, but the unchecked flow of freeloaders are putting a strain on the system.

Liberals measure success by how many people their programs help, conservatives by how many people no longer need them.
Well said
Creature 1 is offline   Reply With Quote