Prop DD - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Wow. This went red and blue... they both suck in their own way. I was just trying to figure out if this water plan would be beneficial to me as a boater. The water plan sets goals but has no clear way of achieving them. I was hoping to be enlightened. As for sports gambling, who cares how idiots decide to waste their money. Not my concern i just dont want to be dooped into voting for something that hurts our river access, or only leaves me a trickle. I've read an article from an Aspen paper that shows that the ad campaign money for DD came from mainly the gaming industry but also from some ag group. From my experience, the ag industry does not always see eye to eye with us.

Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
noahfecks, we always seem to be on opposite sides of the fence.

Yawn....

Please, we are trying to have an adult conversation here where someone can state an opinion based on limited information, and respectfully change an opinion based on new information. The info in my mailed ballot and associated primer is understandable, very limited. I welcome new information.

Please give me some new information other than tribalism the result of simple baiting. If "R's" did anything other than disable environmental(river, wildlife and human-kind) protections, destroy the inheritance of our children and trending toward screwing me as a retired or middle income professional; I might have more interest in your thoughts regarding D's vs R's.

Considering that, Colorado is blue, at worst purple and hopefully red is dead.

Considering that Putin has a "red" association; oh, well, never mind.

You should come out and do some target shooting with us some time Ron. Maybe we can even teach you how to pee standing up.

Not an R, not a D, honestly I dislike them about equally. That people think the end goal of one or the other is to serve the people is baffling.
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
Wow. This went red and blue... they both suck in their own way. I was just trying to figure out if this water plan would be beneficial to me as a boater. The water plan sets goals but has no clear way of achieving them. I was hoping to be enlightened. As for sports gambling, who cares how idiots decide to waste their money. Not my concern i just dont want to be dooped into voting for something that hurts our river access, or only leaves me a trickle. I've read an article from an Aspen paper that shows that the ad campaign money for DD came from mainly the gaming industry but also from some ag group. From my experience, the ag industry does not always see eye to eye with us.
If as you say you care about rivers you'd realize that R's rarely do anything to benefit the health of our nations rivers, wetlands, wildlife, forests, wildernesses, public lands, climate or private river runner access. Just saying.

I don't see anything nefarious about campaign money coming from gaming and ag(Full disclusure. I'm not a fan of gaming. I do like ag except when they waste and pollute waters and wetlands.)

Legalized gaming can hopefully be properly monitored and taxed as opposed to illegal gaming which is always criminal and never taxed.

Ag of course doesn't want to be taxed for being among the largest water users in the state. Besides, family owned ag is hurting already. In other words, they want someone else to pay for the solutions for a problem that they substantially cause, dried up rivers.

I'm surprised DD campaigning is not being likewise funded by development for the same reason.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I will follow Gary Wockner's lead on this and right now he is a no on DD.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Golden, Colorado
Chief Niwot,

Share with us please.

First, who is Gary Wockner, why is he so important and what is his contribution to this thought process leading you to decide NO? I guess I could search "Wockner" but that would relieve you perhaps of having the responsibility of expressing an independent opinion/interpretation. So please stand up and not be led and tell us why you think whatcha think. I and perhaps we would appreciate that.

Again, your interpretive input is most welcome on this potentially critical decision(aka, our vote). Hey man, I voiced my opinion to the point where I was told that I need to learn how to pee. Can't get worse than that(As if I care. Let me change that. I do care. No one is gonna take hold of mine to show me how.).

Thanks Chief,
Ron
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
American Rivers is in support.

https://www.americanrivers.org/2019/...ou-should-too/
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
I will follow Gary Wockner's lead on this and right now he is a no on DD.
I checked on Gary. Nobel, admirable but short sighted thoughts. Virtually no solutions. Under DD an immediate objective is to put water back into the rivers in any way possible such as buying out farmer water rights.
https://www.greeleytribune.com/opini...orados-rivers/

His concluding remark in this link is that fossil fuels should pay for a solution which he totally blames on "fossil fuels"(FF)(climate change).

Gary, Mr Niwot, this problem started long before FF's contributed to our Colorado problem of dry river beds and degrading riparian health.

Get real Gary. You are using a popular scapegoat of the liberal left in a fashion that destroys yours and our credibility(considering that I'm a member of the liberal left). You want to poke your finger in the eye of the right even worse than I do(Greeley NewsPaper).

Let me say that even if "fossil fuels" up'ed the money to result in some solutions as he demands; first, it will likely never happen; second, it is not likely to happen soon; third, the solutions will likely at this point be the same.

Given the opportunity I'd proudly shake Gary's hand but then wag my finger in his face and scold him for not being a realist; a frequent problem of the far left and far right.

These are just my opinion.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Chief Niwot,

Share with us please.

First, who is Gary Wockner, why is he so important and what is his contribution to this thought process leading you to decide NO? I guess I could search "Wockner" but that would relieve you perhaps of having the responsibility of expressing an independent opinion/interpretation. So please stand up and not be led and tell us why you think whatcha think. I and perhaps we would appreciate that.

Again, your interpretive input is most welcome on this potentially critical decision(aka, our vote). Hey man, I voiced my opinion to the point where I was told that I need to learn how to pee. Can't get worse than that(As if I care. Let me change that. I do care. No one is gonna take hold of mine to show me how.).

Thanks Chief,
Ron
Gary Wocker is a founder and the current executive director of Save the Colorado and lives and breathes everything to do with the Colorado River and its management with an emphasis on maintaining the Colorado in a as free flowing a manner as possible. They are among the leaders of the movement to drain Lake Powell. Definitely a bit of tunnel vision and certainly very biased towards that view...but is certainly one of the hardest working advocates for River Runners rights on the Colorado too.

I don't intend to get political with this and see how it can be beneficial or detrimental to both sides. Some parts are concerning and others not. There is certainly municipal support for this in addition to conservationist and agricultural support as Denver Water is a sponsor and supporter of Prop DD and of the Water Implementation Cash Fund.

Its certainly a bit concerning know that funds from Prop DD could be used to build and maintain dams....but its also potentially useful for Conservation and keeping water in the Colorado River as well.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
A couple of things:

If it's the Colorado Water Plan, we're looking at really big picture stuff. There may be dams involved, likely studies on water use and availability, planning, development, etc. There may also be stuff like whitewater parks, or boat chutes at diversion structures (Silver Bullet on the Ark used State water project funds), and things like that.

I'm not supportive of legalized gambling. Gambling is an addiction that can get really expensive, that has social consequences and can really screw up the lives of the addicts and their families. With this in mind, I don't really care what the money's used for, I don't support it. If we, as a people, want to fund the great projects, conservation, and other things we shouldn't need to legalize something that's destructive to peoples' lives to do so. This is a tax that'll fall very heavily on some, while many of us who enjoy the benefits will pay little monitarily but may have to pick up the pieces of shattered lives around us.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Read about the issues, "be informed, not influenced", most of all, everyone please VOTE!