Mountain Buzz banner

Predicting the wind on Upper Colorado

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  tango 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I love rafting and fishing between Radium and State Bridge but have gotten caught on high wind days that make it a real struggle. I’m wondering if there are flow thresholds/levels that make the wind issue moot or what type of wind/weather forecast to stay away from?
Thanks for any insights and safe paddling.
Matt

#2 ·
The upstream winds are almost daily. If you must make miles, launch early especially during lower flows such as now. A true threshold CFS depends on the true upstream wind speed I guess.

Weather.gov and Wunderground.com forecasts localized to Bond, Colorado can provide guidance of anticipated wind speeds and directions. The forecasts are not perfect but should be trusted to do proper planning.

#3 ·
As the sun warms the surfaces of the landforms, the adjacent air warms and begins to flow up the slopes. Air from downstream comes in to fill the vacuum. The process continues with more and more force until late afternoon. As a general rule, of course.
Weather reports can give a clue too. Sometimes they are downright fierce!

#8 ·
Weather reports, scientific explanations, recent trip reports....all well and good, but Mother Nature does what she wants, when she wants

Just don't mention the "W" word within earshot of the launch

#11 ·
I've yet to find a reliable source to predict winds on Upper C. They usually get the windy days correct, but days they predict calm can still be windy. Probably due to local heating described above. But some days the winds seem to start by mid-morning before it has even starts to heat up. Obviously early mornings are less windy but that doesn't always fit the bug hatches. I am primarily a fly fisherman so hate those days where it blows so hard you just have to rack the rods, turn the boat around backwards and row out against white caps. Was also on the river last Saturday when their was essentially no wind and it was awesome.

For those familiar with Joel Gratz and OpenSnow, I see they have added a summer forecast site called OpenSummit. I have not started using it yet but maybe this will be useful.

#12 ·
Rather than a headwind, you can predict that the wind will blow in the afternoon upstream hard on the Upper C, for about a quarter mile centered on Two Bridges boat ramp and a few short sections below there the river meanders such that it wraps back on itself and flows NE to NNE. Enjoy those brief respites but don't get used to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.