Possible 2021 permit fee increase for Deso? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 5 Days Ago   #11

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I used to run Deso Grey yearly in October, like 20 times, is so nice to wake up to the crisp cool mornings, the box elders turning yellow, come around a corner and see a herd of elk or horses drinking out of the river.

We stopped when the only reliable shuttle company, Green River Aviation folded, did the airplane shuttle with RedTail aviation out of Moab a couple times, but it's SO much driving... Hopefully someone out of Price or Green river will start a shuttle service there, unlikely but one can always hope.

I just remembered, wow, I'm actually quoted in Tom Rampton's Deso guidebook as to how to navagate the channels in low water... That was years ago though.

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #12

C. Springs, Colorado
It's too bad that list of improvements doesn't include a water supply to fill your water jugs from.
Old 5 Days Ago   #13

Salida, Colorado
True that, but I always just fill up at the gas station in Wellington, stop and get beer too LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #14

C. Springs, Colorado
Is that the last gas station before the turn off? last year they wouldn't let me fill water jugs. Other boaters had pissed them off and they said no way.

Loading the trailer with all the water weight to drive down the dirt road sucks....
Old 5 Days Ago   #15

Salida, Colorado
No, make the right at Wellington and it's on the left, has been many years since I've done Deso, and perhaps someone did piss them off, but they were always nice to us. I carry the water in the pickup until I get to the put in, but you're right, carrying water on that road.... Well, less than ideal.

I remember when Skip Edwards was the ranger there, he said that they had to haul water for the ranger outpost as the ground water at Deso wasn't fit to drink.
Old 5 Days Ago   #16

C. Springs, Colorado
Now that you mention it. I heard the ground water was no good too and the rangers had to haul their own. Their housing is pretty much off grid living at it's finest. Putting in a water purifying system might be too big of a budget item to consider.
Old 4 Days Ago   #17

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Now that you mention it. I heard the ground water was no good too and the rangers had to haul their own. Their housing is pretty much off grid living at it's finest. Putting in a water purifying system might be too big of a budget item to consider.

Over the years the housing has gotten better, it started with a little trailer and a generator with a water tank trailer, then they put in a more "modular" system back about 10 to 15 years ago, just as the screen rooms were being built, 2 banks of solar panels and batteries, but still the water hauling trailer.

As an aside, I used to just take my water filter down, Deso, specially in October runs clear, so it was never really an issue for me, but not everyone has a water filter so...
Old 4 Days Ago   #18

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
"I remember when Skip Edwards was the ranger there, he said that they had to haul water for the ranger outpost as the ground water at Deso wasn't fit to drink."

Wow, just caught up with the stories about Skip...he was so helpful and fun when checking us in at Sand Wash...this was at the very beginning of my journeys through Deso, back in the day
Old 4 Days Ago   #19

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
"I remember when Skip Edwards was the ranger there, he said that they had to haul water for the ranger outpost as the ground water at Deso wasn't fit to drink."

Wow, just caught up with the stories about Skip...he was so helpful and fun when checking us in at Sand Wash...this was at the very beginning of my journeys through Deso, back in the day

Yep, first met Skip at Westwater when he rangered there in the 80's, Doreen Detmers was his partner. He led a long and colorful career with the BLM, culminating with sitting in the eddy at the dogleg after the rapids and before Bighorn, sitting there in his raft with nothing on but ladies lingerie bumming food and beer off the passing boaters.

One trip comes to mind in particular, we had just gotten thru Sock it to me, I was in a 15 foot aluminum dory and the flow was 15KCFS, in the eddy on the right was someone frantically signalling us to pull over, so pull over I did, the eddyline about flipped me, when I recovered and looked up, there was Skip, his girlfriend in her kayak and the goose that imprinted and bonded with them, I shouted, what's wrong ?? How can we help thinking it was an emergency, Skip replied, "We're out of beer, can you give us some?" We were day tripping and didn't have any to give him, he was crushed..

Yep, the good old days LOL
Old 3 Days Ago   #20

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969

Here is a picture of Deso/Gray in, I believe 1976, the boatmen in the background standing on one of the three 33 ft pontoon's(we rowed & motored) boats and waving is D9, 7 year's before him and Greg started Down River Equipment Co. we all worked with RMRE. I'm the good looking one in the picture. Notice the modern life jackets?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	156123_524891040910928_1039710315_n_compress36.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	41703  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote