Polis: No recreating beyond ten miles from your house - an order - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2020   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Polis: No recreating beyond ten miles from your house - an order

Colorado Governer Polis has issued an order that no Coloradan be allowed to recreate beyond ten miles from their house until May 27. This effectively shuts the river season down for the state. Except for those who have a river nearby.

Thoughts? Please keep petty politics out of this. Please keep ideas productive. If this gets out of hand, Moderator please nuke it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #2

Golden, Colorado
Fuck that guy.

Productive enough for you?
Old 04-27-2020   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Luckily stuff typically doesn't REALLY start running until late may or early June in CO so hopefully we'll still get a season. We'll miss the early season warm up runs but get to jump both feet in to high water!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #4

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
How do you keep politics out of a thread discussing a controversial order made by a politician? And what Zbaird said...where I'm from, "river season" isn't just the month of May so I wouldn't say river season is shut down. Looks like it's just delayed unless they extend the order.
Old 04-27-2020   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
This thread could get nuked quickly.... I say small crews of your family or housemates. Keep it super low key. Should be fine and able to go outside the 10 miles radius. I have been recreating responsibly and plan to continue within a 150 mile or so radius of my house.

I have heard that law enforcement is more in education mode with the public and isn't likely to ticket.
Old 04-27-2020   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
POLIS FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Polis is precise with his concerns and presentation. I listen to his every update with total respect unlike moronic presentations out of the White House.

Most importantly, he accepts phone questions be they in "merican" or espainol which are answered in like language immediately.

griz, you are a proven selfish type. Maybe you have someplace in your yard where we can bury the dead, out of kindness of your heart. You have no comprehension of science, medicine or epidemiology; only selfish motives. At least DJT pretends to be compassionate for now.

Please stick to the game plan that has prevented dreadful consequences till now.
Old 04-27-2020   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
How do you keep politics out of a thread discussing a controversial order made by a politician?

Good question. Let me clarify why I am looking for thoughts on this. I live in Durango, a relatively small town. I have my own opinion about what impact I might have if I travel an hour or two to do a run alone or say with my wife.

However, others in different communities might have a different perspective on this. I am wondering what the consensus is. And if there is a consensus, what is the most effective solution. Maybe folks in Summit County, welcome this? Maybe they can's stand it. I have no idea.
Old 04-27-2020   #8

Bailey, Colorado
It's guidance, not an order. If your local LE chooses to make an issue of it, that's their call.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/safer-at-home
Old 04-27-2020   #9
td

That part of the order says: "Travel for recreational purposes should be limited to your own community like your county of residence or traveling no more than about ten miles". Not exactly how I want to live my life, but at this point if limiting our interactions and recreational travel for another month will help keep the infection load small enough we don't have to go into stay at home again I'm fine with it. I'd much prefer to knock this thing down enough to have as close to a normal summer as possible- if that takes another month, so be it.
Old 04-27-2020   #10

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeks View Post
It's guidance, not an order. If your local LE chooses to make an issue of it, that's their call.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/safer-at-home

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. This is the kind of dialogue I was hoping for. In the link you sent, under "Local and personal recreation" there is this: "Outdoor recreation must be within one’s community and/or no further than 10 miles from residence." That to me seems more than guidance. Also, our paper (I know...) is reporting it as a "safer-at-home order." Again, simply seeking clarification and insight.
Closed Thread