Polis: No recreating beyond ten miles from your house - an order - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2020   #51

Denver, Colorado
Arizona does in fact have a stay at home order that expires tomorrow, and may or may not be extended.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/wh...-nears-its-end

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020   #52

Phoenix, Arizona
There is an executive order limiting activities in Arizona. It does not however limit recreation other than to suggest distancing where possible.

See attached Article 4, Section D and Article 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.22.27 AM.png
Views:	46
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	45751  
Old 04-29-2020   #53
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Yep, everyone of you should volunteer for the job of Governor of Colorado. You'd do so well with the criticism. Regardless of what you would dictate or what Polis has said, local communities are dealing with the pandemic in their best interest. Before heading out you might want to check with the counties you intend to visit.

For example Chaffee County: Public Health Coronavirus

And yes, Chaffee County still doesn't want you.

Mesa County, go for it. https://health.mesacounty.us/covid19/

Eagle County, locals only. You need to read the Health Order. https://www.eaglecounty.us/COVID19/

Take it slow. Take it easy. Don't be a vector. Run for office because you like a challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020   #54

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
These stay at home orders lead me to an interesting question. Sure its unconstitutional without a declaration of martial law. But its not the first time we've been down this road. We did it during the spanish flu and lots of times cause of smallpox going all the way back to the founding fathers. Now this order does infringe on your rights, no question. But spreading desease infringes on other peoples right to life. ... I guess for all those who feel that their liberties are getting trampled on, you could infringe on other peoples life, liberty and happiness by not complying.
A couple of weeks ago I was doing some research looking back at public health policy over the centuries.

This was just as the news about the protests to open up the states were going on. One thing I learned was that in the US we have about 150 years of legal precedent supporting public health requirements around quarantine and other measures to prevent people from spreading disease. My understanding is that this is rooted in the notion that one of the primary functions of the government is to provide for public safety – and it’s long been settled that this applies to microscopic enemies as well as thugs, terrorists, and foreign armies. There are legal cases from epidemics back into the 1800s that all come down firmly on the side that says my right to NOT get infected by you takes priority over your right to go out and assemble with other folks and spread (or catch) contagion. Basically anyone complaining about quarantine orders infringing on their constitutional rights is similar to folks that complain about their loss of free speech because they can't shout “fire” in a crowded theater. And anyone that wants to change all this will have to take it up the legal system to the Supreme Court.

Another interesting thing I learned is that the root of the word "quarantine" comes from the 15th century practice, during times of plague, of imposing a 40-day isolation period for ships before letting anyone, or any cargo, off the ship after it arrived in the port. Just think how those merchants, whose “ship had come in,” must have felt having to wait over a month for their goods to be unloaded (much less the sailors on board!), especially if perishable. So basically the history of epidemics causing painful times for commerce and trade, in order to safeguard public safety, goes back centuries and is firmly rooted in Western society - it hurt just as much back then (or more) as it does now.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 04-29-2020   #55

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
These orders are simply asking people to be RESPONSIBLE human beings. Don't be the douche bag who pisses in the pool & ruins summer fun for everybody else.
Old 04-29-2020   #56

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Andy H.

I appreciate your perspective and insight. Giving information from a historical perspective always seems like a good place to start.
Old 04-29-2020   #57

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post

Another interesting thing I learned is that the root of the word "quarantine" comes from the 15th century practice, during times of plague, of imposing a 40-day isolation period for ships before letting anyone, or any cargo, off the ship after it arrived in the port. Just think how those merchants, whose “ship had come in,” must have felt having to wait over a month for their goods to be unloaded (much less the sailors on board!), especially if perishable. So basically the history of epidemics causing painful times for commerce and trade, in order to safeguard public safety, goes back centuries and is firmly rooted in Western society - it hurt just as much back then (or more) as it does now.

-AH
Could you imagine a 15th century ship in port for 40 days? You thought Netflix and high speed internet was tough for awhile that would be TERRIBLE.
Old 04-29-2020   #58

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was doing some research looking back at public health policy over the centuries.

This was just as the news about the protests to open up the states were going on. One thing I learned was that in the US we have about 150 years of legal precedent supporting public health requirements around quarantine and other measures to prevent people from spreading disease. My understanding is that this is rooted in the notion that one of the primary functions of the government is to provide for public safety – and it’s long been settled that this applies to microscopic enemies as well as thugs, terrorists, and foreign armies. There are legal cases from epidemics back into the 1800s that all come down firmly on the side that says my right to NOT get infected by you takes priority over your right to go out and assemble with other folks and spread (or catch) contagion. Basically anyone complaining about quarantine orders infringing on their constitutional rights is similar to folks that complain about their loss of free speech because they can't shout “fire” in a crowded theater. And anyone that wants to change all this will have to take it up the legal system to the Supreme Court.

-AH

So how does my right to go out and live my life infringe on your right to stay at home and hide in the closet? To take your argument to a logical conclusion, exercising the right to assemble does not infringe on your right to shelter in place. If you are sheltering in place you should be safe regardless of what I do as long as I don't come into your house.

The converse is that your demand that I stay home to protect you from an irrational fear very much infringes on the rights of others.

Liberty is the right to make the wrong choice for yourself.
Old 04-29-2020   #59

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
And by the way, the mans damned name is Shutz. Jared Shutz
Old 04-29-2020   #60

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
"If you are sheltering in place you should be safe regardless of what I do as long as I don't come into your house."

the thinking is that you may unknowingly transmit the virus wherever you go. Then it spreads and gets others (me?) down the road. so yeah, that could be considered infringing on someone's rights. Let's let the folks who know more than us make these calls?
Closed Thread