Polis: No recreating beyond ten miles from your house - an order - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2020   #21

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
If your hobbies require discretion, be discrete about them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #22

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just tell the cops you lost your job, couldn't pay rent, now you live in a van down by the river.

Old 04-28-2020   #23

Englewood, Colorado
As a recovering lawyer (ha, ha...) I don't see how the current order would apply to non-residents, e.g. telling a resident of Dallas they can't recreate farther than 10 miles from home. That being so, and given that Colorado hasn't closed its state border, can't out of state folks come in and recreate? I fully understand there are county closures, but as to the state order the scope is fuzzy, at best, as to non-residents.

I support social distancing, hand washing, and Purel is my friend. My brother had a confirmed case. So don't jump down my throat for the following opinions: I think compliance would be higher if there was a bit more thought put into the regulation. The singular goal is to reduce, and ideally eliminate, new infections. That's acheived by the aforementioned steps (e.g. social distancing), not geography. If I leave town and have zero contact with another human, is that worse than staying in the suburban/urban environment of Denver? I pass more people walking my dog in my neighborhood than I would on a remote trail in the mountains...or in my kayak. I know, I know, (a) I could get in a car crash or (b) I might need a rescue. Those counter arguments are like inevitable drum beats. Except I haven't had a fender bender (which are statistically more likely in a suburban/urban setting) in 30 years, and I've never needed a rescue. Ever. So yes, possible...so is getting hit by a meteorite. Again, I'm a compliant model citizen but the gaps in logic are probably driving much of the non-compliance. Just my opinions.
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020   #24

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
This is hard for me because I normally boat every month of the year and I don't have a river or creek within 10 miles of my house. However, we're all in this together and sometimes you just have to make a sacrifice for the good of everyone. I'm getting desperate enough to just go paddle around on the reservoir that is within the 10 mile limit.
Old 04-28-2020   #25

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
As a recovering lawyer (ha, ha...)

I support social distancing, hand washing, and Purel is my friend. My brother had a confirmed case. So don't jump down my throat for the following opinions: I think compliance would be higher if there was a bit more thought put into the regulation. The singular goal is to reduce, and ideally eliminate, new infections. That's acheived by the aforementioned steps (e.g. social distancing), not geography. If I leave town and have zero contact with another human, is that worse than staying in the suburban/urban environment of Denver? I pass more people walking my dog in my neighborhood than I would on a remote trail in the mountains...or in my kayak. I know, I know, (a) I could get in a car crash or (b) I might need a rescue. Those counter arguments are like inevitable drum beats. Except I haven't had a fender bender (which are statistically more likely in a suburban/urban setting) in 30 years, and I've never needed a rescue. Ever. So yes, possible...so is getting hit by a meteorite. Again, I'm a compliant model citizen but the gaps in logic are probably driving much of the non-compliance. Just my opinions.
-Tom
Wait...I like what a damn lawyer said? Maybe it really is the end of the world...Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7D1AF40-8917-4FB6-9592-E72169336ADD.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	45671  
Old 04-28-2020   #26

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Personally I really enjoy floating though Denver and plan on doing it regularly once we get a bit more water...I feel that river is simply ignored by most people. Is it that people get spoiled by our superior natural resources that we tend to inflate the negatives and ignore the positives on mediocre ones? I know we regularly boat way nastier water through more urban locations on the east coast...

Englewood has done an awesome job with the river in their jurisdiction, along with Denver, there are plenty of fun drops all the way to the new access/park in globeville next to the Pepsi plant. Just point between the boulders at all horizon lines, far right at Denver water for the dam bypass (super fun slide to hole at bottom). I bring extra beer for the bums camped out on the river in Rino.
Old 04-28-2020   #27

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by xena13 View Post
This is hard for me because I normally boat every month of the year and I don't have a river or creek within 10 miles of my house. However, we're all in this together and sometimes you just have to make a sacrifice for the good of everyone. I'm getting desperate enough to just go paddle around on the reservoir that is within the 10 mile limit.
Apparently we are not in this together. There are the thoughtful and then there are the selfish. The selfish would have a totally different attitude if this virus cause bullets to misfire or interfered with an erection or hurt the fish but since it is just killing people they don't seem to care. They would be whining like a baby complaining to the government. There names will not be forgotten.

Reservoirs that are very local to Denver are Chatfield, Aurora and Barr Lake. Please let me know if you know of others. We were on Chatfield this morning by 8 and it was wonderful.
Old 04-28-2020   #28

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Hopefully an unintended benefit of staying inside is that we'll starve mosquitos into extinction. Wouldn't that would make the frustration and economic ruin worth it all?

Apparently Google is all over it

https://bit.ly/35cGpE0

FWIW
Old 04-28-2020   #29

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwood View Post
Look we love our friends that come to Salida and enjoy our river, heck that is how I ended up here 30 years ago. Please give us a minute, the Ark typically won't get going until June and the flow program will keep it going until August 15th. We have one shot at this, if COVID spikes again summer we will be shut down and the economic carnage will echo for years. Please just give us a bit of space.

Thanks,
P.T. Wood
Mayor, Salida CO.

What a nice Mayorly way to say, "Please stay the fuck at home, or at least away from Chaffee and Fremont counties"
Old 04-28-2020   #30

Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
If your hobbies require discretion, be discrete about them.
discreet
Closed Thread