Paddle Cats - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2014   #1

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Paddle Cats

Been debating for a couple of months between getting a new IK or going with a paddle-cat type craft for running multi-day trips on up to Class III rivers. Think I've decided on a setup design based on the Cuttroat I tubes. I'm not worried about running oars or an oar-frame. Want to keep the weight down in a paddling setup. The oar set-up will come later, and can switch between the two depending on the trip.
Anybody out there running paddle-cat style rigs care to relate their experiences, what water they've run, load size and rigging ect... I've poured thru the JPW website only about 27 times per day since November, so I'm thoroughly familiar with EVERY pic on it. Just would like to see and hear others besides the manufactueres. Just one of those things for me - the only thing really keeping me from taking the plunge is the lack of a tax return check. But you never really know how you're gonna like something until you try it, and since I've never even seen a Fat Cat/Cutthroat much less paddled one makes it difficult to spend that chunk of money kinda sight unseen or tested, you know?

Dusto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would talk to Jack, call him up or better yet, head over to Aztec.

I've spent some time paddling 2 and 4 man shredders, but the most we ever loaded them with was maybe a 30 rack and a bag of wine.

I have a outcast pac hd 11', which probably has a similar carrying capacity. I think the 19" tubes max out at 500lbs, including rower. I have had it down westwater at low water with about 400 lbs onboard. Ive done a lot harder class 4 unloaded. If you dont want to swim in big holes, sneaking is a must however.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #3

Cottonwood, Arizona
Yeah, prolly will go make a trip over to their shop soon. I've talked to both Jack and Errol, and you can tell that they are definitely more excited about cataraft based craft than duckies.
Do you think your outcast is prone to flipping in holes because of the high center of gravity inherent with the ride height or short waterline due to the rockered tubes? Or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Well in a highside situation, its center of gravity does not work in its favor. I would be inclined to say the waterline has the most to do with its problem in holes. There's just not enough boat there to punch big sticky holes. It tends to stall out, turn, sidesurf, and sometimes flip.

With the additional length and lower profile tubes, the cutthroat probably would do a bit better.
Old 02-13-2014   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Well in a highside situation, its center of gravity does not work in its favor. I would be inclined to say the waterline has the most to do with its problem in holes. There's just not enough boat there to punch big sticky holes. It tends to stall out, turn, sidesurf, and sometimes flip.

With the additional length and lower profile tubes, the cutthroat probably would do a bit better.
Stall, turn, flip.....been there, done that with my Outcast 10 footer. They are meant to be fishing craft, so they turn on a dime. Not always the best attribute in a boat when you're in rapids. Fun though. I've seen one Cutthroat flip over the years. It was on Westwater, Funnel Falls, and he was rowing it.
Old 02-13-2014   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Stall, turn, flip.....been there, done that with my Outcast 10 footer. They are meant to be fishing craft, so they turn on a dime. Not always the best attribute in a boat when you're in rapids. Fun though. I've seen one Cutthroat flip over the years. It was on Westwater, Funnel Falls, and he was rowing it.
I've flipped on Sock it to Me in my Cutthroat II, fun boat and great for low water or smaller rivers.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Don't know a lot about them, but had stumbled across this web site on the Hyside Paddle Cat a while back and bookmarked it. It might provide you with some more info.
Hyside Paddle Cat Whitewater Inflatable Kayaks Oars Paddles Pumps Life Jackets Safety Gear
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #8

Cottonwood, Arizona
Reminds me a lot of JPW's Culebra. Looks like fun, but at 4' 10" wide, it's a little on the huge side for what I'd be normally doing.
Old 02-13-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Always like to remind folks of the lesser known boat builders in the mid-atlantic states.

This would be fun in AZ
Two person ThrillKat
Old 02-13-2014   #10

peoria, Arizona
I have a JPW Cutthroat II with the 19 in tubes.

Originally planned on using it as a paddle cat but that never really happened once I put oars on it. It's actually my boat of choice for the weight and handling as I do a lot of stuff solo. Not as stable as a standard cat/raft, but they also don't work as well on low water Salt/Gila/San Juan trips. It usually launches running with 14x22 NRS tubes instead of the 14x19 JPW tubes because of the gear capacity. I've been real happy with it.

Here is a pic from on the Gila:

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote