Here are a couple webites and some info i learned on my trip last summer:
1. Stories and videos mostly from the last decade, these guys were pioneering a lot of runs, pretty amazing really....
2. Really thorough TR's of good quality IV-V... He posts em up here, (how i first found out about the blog)
Wheels & Water
3. PNW Kayakers The Pacific Northwest's Premier Kayaking Community
a new PNW forum. less traffic then the buzz, for sure, but the right direction
4. PDX and professorpaddle, as everyone pointed out.
5. Kayak Shed in Hood River is a great shop. right across the gorge from White Salmon, Wa. They were helpful when i rolled in solo looking for paddling companions.I think there was a wednesday PM group run on the lower WS, they had info on.
6. (in the ...not Washington column) Seaside and Gearhart are really nice beaches/beach towns. two surf shops that rent wetsuits and boards. South of Astoria, north of Cannon Beach.. (goonies zone..) less then 2 hours from Portland. You can 4wdrive out on the beach by gearhart. makes it easy to carry a SUP to the shore break. the actual good surf is at the end of town in seaside.
Oregon Surf Guide, North coast surf breaks