Outside seam floor repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Outside seam floor repair

Got a great deal recently on an older hypalon boat in great shape. Everything holds air and is good to go except for this little problem child right here. Floor was over pressurized in the hot sun and blew out the side of this outside seam on the dropstitch floor. Wondering if anyone has had experience fixing a leak like this? As you can see from the bubbles I used the old soapy water trick and the leak is coming out right where the hypalon meets the rivet/grommet.

So far I am thinking pulling 2/3 of the grommets out and attempting to reglue the floor with Clifton adhesive, or is it worth paying a professional to get it done or going with a new floor if I can find one to fit.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4319.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	35687  

JDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Easy repair. Do as you have said, peel it back a nit, remove all old glue as much as possible. Reglue and put weight on it till set. Then get a piece of material about 5"x10" and glue it folded over the seam, repunch grommet holes and regrommet. A pro wouldn't charge much either for that I don't think.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
you're funny newpc!

Jduke, You have an i beam floor in the picture not a drop stitch. What you'll find is that the problem is not on the outside but the inside of the floor. The "V tape" or the inside seam tape has failed. This keeps the pressure inside the floor and keeps the two layers of floor from splitting apart. You need to pull the grommets, peel apart the layers and see what you have. If the v tape wants to keep peeling easily, peel it back until doesn't or else it will fail again. You'll need to re glue the v tape to the inside of the floor and then glue the outside together. Its not one of the easier repairs to do well. Any little weakness to spot that wasn't set perfectly will lead to leaking. Make sure the floor is dry inside. Good chance water was the original culprit.

If the rest of the v tape inside seems solid it can work out great. If it wants to keep peeling you may want to think about a new floor. If there is a bunch of water in the floor when you open it you MAY be looking at continued failure of the v tape and eventually the i beams.

Gluing a patch over the edge as suggested by newpc won't do a damn thing if the interior v tape isn't solid. Its 100% unnecessary and will only make it harder to repair next time. All the air in the floor is held by the interior v tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Finally had the time to pull this apart today. I appreciated all the the help so far! Attached are a couple of pictures of the inside. Looks nice and dry and as far as I can tell hasn't had any water sitting inside of it. Couple of questions Zbaird - Im going to clean up the old glue and the inside seams with tolulene. Will this hurt the Vtape at all? I will rough it up some once its all nice and cleaned up and reglue the Vtape and then the outside seam. Any chance you would have a lead on a good grommet setter to get or a DIY alternative to getting the new grommets set right? I think it is just the standard 9/16 grommets that Hyside has listed on their website. There are some #4 grommet setters online but they are $$$. I found this guy at home depot but I dont think they will have one in the right size

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1264/204763455
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4328.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	35981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	35983  

Old 1 Week Ago   #5

I know you need to rough up the Hypalon some to make the glue stick right. Do you need to do that a little to the Vtape also or is it jus too thin? I dont want to overdue it and rip the Vtape at all if it holds pressure
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

mead, Colorado
What Zach said. Definitely not an easy repair but doable. Just did a huge one last winter. It is still holding. I glued the v tape back in in one step, pressure checked to make sure it wasn’t leaking than glued up the big flat. Take your time prep is everything. Don’t be afraid to peel until you get into good glue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34A1EC8B-87DD-49D7-8486-444F67E93BFE_1559937513675.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	967.2 KB
ID:	35985   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D7FA080-8D7B-44CE-A0FC-B37540B1194D_1559937539962.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	35987  

Name:	8C85151F-E5CF-4635-B119-92507611C381_1559937563222.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	35989  
jimbridge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Thanks jimBridge! What exactly do you mean by 'good glue'? when I got about 2 grommets away from the blown out one the vtape felt like it was pretty sturdy - definitely resisted being pulled up but obviously if I really gave it a yank it would come up pretty quick. The outside seam glue around the grommets really seemed bad. I pulled that up until it really started giving me some good resistance. I just dont want to pull any further than I have to. Any thoughts on the Tolulene possibly eating the Vtape away or setting Grommets?
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

mead, Colorado
you will know when you get to the difference. at minimum I would open that seam up 8 inches past where the visable failure is to make it easier to work on. once you get to good glue it will feel like you are toeing the line of ripping the Hypalon vs seperating the glue. kinda hard to describe. its like the difference between peeling off an old shitty patch or a new one that was done correctly.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

That makes sense. I dont know why Mountainbuzz isnt liking my replies but it looks like they are getting lost down a black hole unless I use the quick reply option. I have some pictures of the inside, looks like no water damage and mostly just need to get the old glue off. jimbridge do you know if tolulene is safe to use on the Vtape?
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

mead, Colorado
I would refrain from using toluiene until you are ready to glue. it definently wont "eat" the v tape though, I just try to avoid at all costs getting it inside the floor to avoid compromising an otherwise solid glue joint. to remove the glue use the nylon rotory brushes in a drill, you can get them at Ace. setting grommets is easy with a grommet setting punch and die. I got mine at harbor freight and it works fine on the grommets hyside sells.

nylon brush:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...nt=Catch%20All

example of grommet tool:

https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-C...gateway&sr=8-3