North Platte Flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2016   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
North Platte Flows

The gauge for Northgate Canyon says 1400 CFS. Until Friday USGS wasn't even reporting discharge. I find it hard to believe Northgate has that much water this early, even with the rain and early snowmelt. Does anybody have reliable beta as to the accuracy of this reading? If it is legit I would like to hit it soon if anyone is interested.

almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I am dying to run this stretch. Are you a rafter or Kayaker?
Old 04-11-2016   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
FWIW...

This run is on my bucket list...as much as I have never run it, I watch the flows from year to year and have noted that the gauge for Northgate typically becomes ice-free around the middle of April. If you look back at the flows for April 2014, (similar snow pack year - yes?) the river was flowing over 2000 cfs by April 15th...Can't speak to ice-dam conditions throughout the canyon though...
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I'm fixing paddle raft it. I R2ed it last summer but had to wait until early June for good flows, less than what it is now. That reading is more than double the average for April 11th and it is cold up there. I would like to think the gauge is correct. If someone can give some sort of verification that the readings are correct I will gladly do it again soon.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #5

Call these guys, they will know North Park Fly Fishing Shop

Also, why I drove by a few weeks ago I don't think the gate to the normal putin was open
Jamie D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have a solid R2 partner that would run it with me, would be great to have another R2 to run it with. I have a 12' SOTAR ST that I use for R2. We should keep and eye on it and see if we can put a run together.
Old 04-11-2016   #7

It was usually my first run of the year because it always comes up before other front range rivers.... drops in may, and comes up again when the higher snow melts in June. Ice not usually a problem by mid April, but road to gap might be.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I don't know that I'd R2 Northagate at spring flows. Some of those holes toward the end can be a little munchy and I'd hate to go in light without enough power.

Can't wait to run it.

EB
Old 04-12-2016   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Gauge says 1640 this morning, and it has been really warm in Fraser at least, so I'd say the water at least is probably there. Storm system rolling in for the weekend may slow things down, hopefully we get more snow up there!
Old 04-12-2016   #10

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I fished lower down in the drainage on Saturday and Sunday. We put in at Saratoga on Saturday and took out at the Sanger access below Pick Bridge late Sunday afternoon. The flow was big when we took off on Sunday, and a big storm came through Sunday afternoon and evening as we were taking off and heading home. For what it's worth, the NOAA gauge in Saratoga shows 2170.....and I think it probably rained again yesterday and last night.