Non Rafting Grand Canyon Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2019   #1

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Non Rafting Grand Canyon Question

I hope this is ok to post here, I am leaving Phoenix tomorrow to drive back to Colorado and Since I have never seen the Grand Canyon I am planning on taking a detour on the way back. I am planning on going to the South Rim via AZ 64. I have done a little research as for the best way to spend my short amount of time, but am looking for some advice from those who know. I should be there by 4 pm and will leave the next day around noon or mid day. My problem is that I broke my ankle in January and am still in a walking boot so I can only hike about a half mile ish and can’t do rugged terrain.

So I am looking for any spots that I can maybe get away from the people considering my limitations, and any reccomendations for a cool campsite would be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking for the best easily accessible spots for sunset and sunrise.

Thanks in advance,
Burns

mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I would come in on 64 through Tusayan and head to Grand Canyon Village, there are a lot of cool historical building near El Tovar definitely worth checking out despite being more trafficked. I'd check out the Kolb brothers studio. The park fixes the prices so you can get a good meal in the Bright Angel lodge for an artificially low price. Taking the bus out toward Hermits rest is a good way to gawk while you cover some ground but can be busy. Driving east on 64 toward Cameron there are lots of pull outs, your best bet for some solitude as far as I'm aware. Then exit going toward Cameron and continue on your way. There is a decent sized grocery store near desert view watch tower and a nearly full sized one in Grand Canyon Village. The best view I remember of the river is from in and around desert view watch tower. Phone service is very spotty in the park so don't plan on relying on your phone for maps or communication.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019   #3

I agree that the short walk around the El Tovar and Kolb Studio is a must see for a South Rim trip despite the crowds. Also the bus to Hermit's is a great way to avoid crowds, more people will be at the scenic viewpoints to the east because they can drive. Ride the bus, walk around the viewpoints then catch the next bus to the next viewpoint. If your walking cast allows biking, the Hermits Rest Road is even better on a bike, no car traffic and the buses are every 10 minutes so almost zero traffic. There are bike rentals in the Village.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Back when I was running an adventure travel operation we would stay at ten-x campground. Not in the park but then again, I don't know of any sites that on the rim with a view so it doesn't really matter. Some tourist trap in town has some neat artifacts from the early river pioneers.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote