New Whitewater Features in Durango - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-13-2016   #1

Paddling Since: 1993
New Whitewater Features in Durango

Haven't seen this one come across the forum yet. Seems worthwhile for river users in Durango to have a heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Durango Intake.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	12977  

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016   #2

Durango, Colorado
Not as much of a "feature" as it is a diversion into the city's sewer plant intake. The low water play feature on river left may form something good at slightly higher flows than we've seen since construction, as may the new eddy wing upstream, but the rest is really designed with a different purpose in mind. It could make high water interesting, especially river right
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I won't be running it without scouting it next spring. Could be very interesting above 4k.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016   #4
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
this new configuration is really gonna fuck up the local populace come high water....people already struggle with pondo at high water...now they'll flip well before they're even there! It's my belief these weirs will get really sticky at higher flows.

I was on the DGO parks and rec board that approved this construction. The reason the city put the weirs in was primarily to slow water down through the park...the river was eroding upstream due to the acceleration and steep waves S2 constructed at smelter, corner and pondo. The diversion to water intake was a secondary priority. Regardless, we'll see how it works out.
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
WOW... Is that what it looks like now
I dont even recognize Smelter except for the the shit plant
It looks nothing like the old rapid I threw ends in every day for a decade