New Water shoes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-22-2017   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
New Water shoes?

I just got a late Christmas present yesterday. A Kokatat Surge semi-drysuit. I usually paddle in Keen sandals, but I need an enclosed water shoe to protect the drysuit socks. I have tried on Astral Brewers in the past, but didn't like the zero drop heel. I need a traditional footbed. I'm looking at the NRS Vibe or NRS Crush. Anyone have experience with either of these. I paddle a SOT touring kayak. Occasional short portages, and some spur of the moment, short off river hikes, so I need something beefier than just a neo bootie. I have a wide foot and mostly wear mens outdoor shoes, size 8-8.5. I tried on the drysuit with a mid weight Smartwool sock & my mens size 8.5 Keen sandals. They fit but it was snug. I'm thinking a size 9 will work better for the sock layers I'll wear inside the drysuit socks.

Anyone wear an NRS Vibe or Crush? Any other shoes I should look at. I'll mostly use the drysuit for kayak touring, not so much for rafting. I'm doing more kayak touring than rafting these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I rocked the NRS crush until they recently wore out. The tread is great for walking around and the footed cushioning is really comfortable. I really like wearing them with my drysuit. But they wear out really quick, and are NOT quick drying. They are essentially canvas street shoes, like Chuck taylors with nice tread for river environments. They are great street shoes.
My other problem with them is the fact that laces tend to loosen when they get wet and I found myself constantly tightening them (a problem with all nylon lace up shoes. From now on my water shoes will have a drawstring or buckle closure methods.
If you are looking for shoes that will stay mostly dry I would totally advocate those, but if they'll be wet a lot I wouldn't.
Five Ten just came out with a new river sneaker, curious on thoughts.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #3

Centerville, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
My buddy bought those NRS water shoes (can't remember if it was the Crush or Vibe) but he said they are pretty pathetic in that for being "water shoes" they don't actually drain all the water out from the shoe. I guess they just have those little grommet holes on the sides for drainage, but he said they are so far up the side of the shoe that they always leave a little bit of water inside so every step has that gross squishy sock feeling.

Maybe try the NRS Desperado? Yeah it's just a neoprene booty, but it's got a pretty beefy sole.
WWRE Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Why a semi dry has socks is beyond me, seems it'll be a real pain if you swim. I go cheap when it comes to river shoes,they'll just wear out or smell like death in a year or twoa anyway...not worth dropping a Franklin on.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #5

Montrose, Colorado
I wear a pair of Croc's over my drysuit bootie. More protective than a sandal. Decent comfort, do not hold any water, lightweight and if they do come off, they float. Can be found for 20 bucks a pair.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I found that the offerings of water shoes were pretty pathetic. I wasnt at all impressed by any of the rafting brands shoes. But I found these adidas water shoes that are awesome. They drain through the entire sole and they dry almost instantly. I bought them on sale for under $50. Here is the model I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Outdoo...TECRH5ANWCR0F0
Treswright3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Catgirl - I've been very satisfied with my Chaco water shoes for my wide feet. I don't remember which model. I get them from Cascade.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I have gone through Loyak, Vibe, Crush, and brewer. The Brewer is my fav. Loyak where comfy but died in 1/2 a season. Vibe is OK, Crush just turned into work shoes. I been sporting the Brewer on and off for 3 years now. Great hiking shoe and fits in big boats. I wish they all dried faster.
Old 01-23-2017   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Five Ten | Water Tennie Water Shoe

I have the Five Ten Water Tennie's and couldn't be happier with a river shoe. Super grippy on hikes, really comfortable on the water, and have held up well over the last year. But kind of a big shoe, if size matters...Found them on sale for under $100 on the web.
gratefuldeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I have gone through Loyak, Vibe, Crush, and brewer. The Brewer is my fav. Loyak where comfy but died in 1/2 a season. Vibe is OK, Crush just turned into work shoes. I been sporting the Brewer on and off for 3 years now. Great hiking shoe and fits in big boats. I wish they all dried faster.
Are the footbeds in a Astral Brewer comfy for you? I see the Astral Aquanaut on sale at Cascade Outfitters. They look like a Brewer with a beefier sole. Astral seems to get high praise from a lot of people. I tried some on about 3-4 years ago and didn't like the zero drop heel. They describe their footbed as a Neutral balance now. Not sure if it's any different????