New Land Transfer Bill - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2017   #1

cedar city, Utah
New Land Transfer Bill

Some days I hate being associated with Utah.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/621

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There is a lot of very crappy legislation being proposed right now. Bishop has also introduced a bill attempting to reverse the Bears Ears designation and reduce the size of Grand Staircase-Escalante significantly.... scary times.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"Lands previously classified as suitable for disposal", Ugh.
Maybe they just get spoiled, spending all there time in Utah, and don't realize what they have( along with some heavy padding to there pockets, most likely).
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017   #4

cedar city, Utah
The Tea Party insurgency has deep roots in Utah. I am holding out some hope for the moderate republicans to sideline these bills. I just fear the anti-fed contingent in the Congress is smart and persistent enough to succeed. We still have the final stop gap of Trump's potential veto as he has stated he is against lands transfers. He has stuck to most of his promises, in regards to policy, but he has a few unusual and aggressive ideas that will require Congress to be compliant which means he will have to cave on some of his preferences.

Good time to support news, needed to remain informed, and non-profits to fight these bills.
Old 01-27-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
...We still have the final stop gap of Trump's potential veto as he has stated he is against lands transfers. He has stuck to most of his promises, in regards to policy, but he has a few unusual and aggressive ideas that will require Congress to be compliant which means he will have to cave on some of his preferences.
All bets are off if they offer their approval of him and tell him that he'll be the smartest president ever for signing something they bring him.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #6

cedar city, Utah
Trump's relationship with Congress will be telling and I have no clue how to predict that outcome.
Some of these bills can still be fillibustered if I understand correctly. Luckily long time conservative Senators, like Hatch, saved the fillibuster from being eliminated the last few years. Its a glimmer of hope for Congress. Congress may have an unprecedented majority control but I take some solace in the obvious cracks exposing a lack of RNC unity on many issues.
I will say the outdoor community may need to put aside historic internal tensions for the next few years if we want to stop this regressive action. It will take everybody from hunters, rafters, skiers, hikers, fisherman, and maybe even motorized hobbyist to fight this monied interest. Access to BLM and USFS lands effects the average American in all of those groups. Most of us will never be able to afford the cost of recreating if these lands go to states and private ownership.
Old 01-27-2017   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
All bets are off if they offer their approval of him and tell him that he'll be the smartest president ever for signing something they bring him.
No doubt many countries and special interest groups will be consulting psychology types on how best to deal with and manipulate Trump for their purposes.

Sadly, a fauning gal with big tits is probably all it will take.

It's going to be a long four years.

Time to fight back, no doubt.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
We still have the final stop gap of Trump's potential veto as he has stated he is against lands transfers.
This is where my hope lies. DT Jr. is an avid hunter and senior is trying to get Zinke in as DOI secretary. I really hope that they both bend his hear and tell him this is a bad idea.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
"Lands previously classified as suitable for disposal", Ugh.
Maybe they just get spoiled, spending all there time in Utah, and don't realize what they have( along with some heavy padding to there pockets, most likely).
I wonder if these are just the lands that are identified as 'disposal' in the BLM RMPs and the USFS LRMPs. If so, it will be fairly easy to see what lands are up for grabs. If not, then all bets are off I guess.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
This is where my hope lies. DT Jr. is an avid hunter and senior is trying to get Zinke in as DOI secretary. I really hope that they both bend his hear and tell him this is a bad idea.
Folks like that don't need public lands to hunt and fish on. If you've ever floated the Lower Blue, you've seen where and how they fish. And the idea of being able to buy up large swaths of now-public land is the whole idea of the legislation. Put the government (deeper) into debt with more ridiculous tax cuts, then everything will be sold off at firesale prices. And they're not going to be selling off many parcels that people like us could buy for our own little piece of paradise...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote