New Construction on Upper Ark - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

New Construction on Upper Ark

They have finally started construction on new put-in for Numbers, a half mile or so above #1. Most of the rock work at water level is done, but lots of grading left to be done for parking and access. Does anyone know when it will be open? Will a easier put-in result in overcrowding?

Also construction going on at the dam below Granite. Looks like a water diversion project, not a whitewater improvement project. Construction is for Homestake Diversion (Aurora & Colorado Springs) They did clean up the dam and added what looks like a fish ladder. It seems like it was a missed opportunity to create a whitewater park / play features. They basically just
made it a 100 yd slide with no features. It appears ready to boat and I'll give it a try next time I'm on Pine Creek.

Anyone have any further info?

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
The boat chute at the diversion should be started this summer and ready for the 2020 season.
ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yep... this stuff has been in the news and I believe discussed here...

New Numbers put-in should be done in a few more weeks. Intention was to have it done by high water, but you know how contractors and projects like this go. There should be significantly more parking and commercials have a limited launch window so I don't see it getting too crowded. Should be better than before. Long term plan is to build a campground a short distance downstream with something like 8-10 sites and a boat launch that is open to privates but off limits to commercials. My guess is that phase of the project will take a couple more years.

The Granite Dam project is indeed a diversion that is being rebuilt. It is the alternate intake of Homestake water owned by Colorado Springs and Aurora. This water is currently siphoned though a glory hole at Twin Lakes and they needed to upgrade the alternate intake in order to do future maintenance on the primary intake. The fish ladder has already been installed. As mentioned the contractors still have to put in a boat chute. My understanding is there will be a "natural channel" as well. It will not be completed this season. There are signs up directing boaters to portage.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark