NEVER EVER DEAL WITH NAVAJO NATION AGAIN!!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2013   #1

colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
NEVER EVER DEAL WITH NAVAJO NATION AGAIN!!!!!

Just thought I would throw this out to all my fellow boaters. I took a trip down the San Juan in MAY of this year. Our party considered the option of camping on the Navajo side of the river between Sand Island and Clays Hill landing. The permit office charges a fee for hiking on Navajo land as well as a fee for camping if you decide to camp. They TOLD me that I could get a refund if I did not use all the "permits" that I ended up paying for.

Well, we did not camp one night on Navajo land and ended up only hiking once on the Navajo land. We were told we could get a refund right, so why would sweat not "using " my permits? Well it is Dec 5th and I am going to the bank today to FINALLY cash a refund that check that has taken my almost a half a year to get. I heard every excuse in the book. Literally it was almost comical on how unprofessional and rude they operate, except I was trying to get my money back and that was not funny and it was well over $100. It took probably 20 plus phone call and probably double that amount in emails for over 5 months to get the refund check!

I am convinced they are used to doing this to most people and they finally just go away. Well I didn't go away at all because I realized after the first month or two of playing nice would get me now where. I had that fact, I really do, but it was the apparent truth.

This really makes me sad and also angers me to no extent. I am part native American myself and I am proud of my heritage, but the way I was treated is exactly why they have the reputation that they do now. They have the choice, but choose not to take the high road. And I will say it was not just one person I dealt with. It was multiple people. They just don't care. PERIOD. I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THE "REZ" AGAIN. I refuse to give any more money to an entity that will not honor what they say. I know my "people" including the Navajos were done wrong many many years ago. However, that is in the past and is no reason at all do intentionally deceive and manipulate the current population now. AND no I never told them I was native American, but that should not have made a difference nor should it....

JUST AS A WARNING !!! This was my experience, maybe yours might be different! maybe.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Cry about it same on most reservations for the permit license system. Just like a deer license when you don't shoot one you don't get a refund! Get over it they gave you a refund.

If I bought a tribal License for the wind river reservation and don't end up using it I'm not going get a refund its the way it works.
As far as being partial native don't expect a soveirgn nation to follow the rules you grew up with..

As far as grouping all the Navajo as the same people and not indivuals I think that's incredibly childish specially seeing how you say you are partial native.
Old 12-05-2013   #3

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
not trying to defend anyone here and it does sound like you got the run-around for a while, but keep it in perspective. You're not dealing with a multi national corp like amazon or nrs and you did get your $ back. Look at "government's" general attitude toward customer service...IRS, ACA, SSA, etc...
That said, it would be nice if they had a better process for issuing the permits, at least as good as the Ute tribe over by Deso.
The last time I was on the SJ and tried to get a "hiking" permit I actually got a call form the Tribe's antiquities office to find out where we actually wanted to go and what we wanted to do. They just wanted to make sure we weren't planning to go to some sensitive cultural sites that they had been having problems with. I actually thought that was good practice on their part.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Seems to me your a little out of line. You requested permission to hike on their private, sacred tribal lands which just so happens to contain some of the best cultural relics of any river trip in the US. I didn't even realize they would give refunds. Not like it was hundreds of $'s anyway.... seems like you should just appreciate the opportunity to enjoy their land, that's worth a lot more than a little $ the way I see it...
Old 12-05-2013   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
If you plan to even step foot on Navajo land on your SJ trip you should buy a permit and split it with your group and be done with it.
Old 12-05-2013   #6

not my point

All you guys are missing the point and that is too bad. I WAS TOLD ONE THING, and then they acted on it differently after I, in good faith sent them a cashier's check for access that I never used. If I was told , "hey no refunds" , then I would have never said anything about it. However NOR would have I bought so many permits because she TOLD Me that if I didn't use them, that "oh no problem, you can just request a refund and get your money back." What part of that do you not understand???

I am not classifying them a people either, I am only complaining about my experience with the permitting office. Here again, we have someone trying to take what someone says and twist it around to be something different. You DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO, it is a matter of principle. That is how I live my life. I say what I can am going to do and if I can't deliver something, well then I don't promise it. If you want to say that I am complaining about that, then yes I am complaining about expecting someone to treat me fairly. Yea I guess that is asking way to much in today's world.

All you guys are missing the point. I WAS TOLD ONE THING, and then they acting on it differently after I in good faith sent them a cashier's check. If I was told , hey no refunds, then I would have never said anything about it. However I bought many permits because she TOLD Me that if I didn't use them, that "oh no problem, you can just request a refund and get your money back."

I am not classifying them a people either, I am only complaining about my experience with the permitting office and the administration of the Navajo lands. Here again, we have someone trying to take what someone says and twist it around to be something different. typical in todays world.

My point again is, You DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO, it is a matter of principle. That is how I live my life. I say what I can and am going to do and if I can't deliver on something, well then I don't promise it. If you want to say that I am complaining about that, then yes I am complaining about expecting someone to treat me fairly. Yea I guess that is asking way to much in today's world.

As for comparing it to another government entity, did I say any of those were worth a damn either? Don't think so.....that is your comparison and not mine, there we go again, adding something in the subject that I never was talking about.
Old 12-05-2013   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Don't talk bout fairness when you bring up race of people who had there land stolen.. Nothing is fair and you should have let it slide. Simple as that you are ignorant.
Old 12-05-2013   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Still sounds like they held up their part of the bargain eh? You got your $$ back. I just think you're sore because it took you 7 months to get it back.
Old 12-05-2013   #9

Oh and yea it was a lot of money, $180 to be exact and when you as the group leader, you tell everyone in your group that if we did not use the permits that THEY would be refunded their share of the permit cost, then this makes you feel like a complete fool and LIAR. Yea expecting someone to honor what they had told me and then repeating it to others is somehow wrong??? Please let me explain the logic in that one? .......
Old 12-05-2013   #10

casper mike is way our and ignorant

Caspemike is ignorant. This is nothing to do with the past. I had nothing to do with what happened in the past AND NEITHER DID MY ANCESTORS who were killed and stolen from by the settlers of this country JUST AS WELL as the NAVAJO nation. It is no different, you just don't know the story so you are the ignorant one my friend.
Closed Thread