Need help with GC Night Float Diamond to Pearce - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2018   #1

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Need help with GC Night Float Diamond to Pearce

Hey everyone-

I have a trip launching in November and taking out the first week of December. I've been checking road conditions at diamond creek and they don't look very promising. We've discussed taking out at Pearce instead and saving some money.

I've seen folks post on here about doing a night float from separation down. Since we'll be doing a winter trip our days will be short. Also, there won't be any moonlight since it's a new moon cycle.

Is it worth it to do the night float? It seems like it would be a fun way to complete the trip.

What hazards have you guys encountered along the way?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

DStrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
We did it on a summer trip in 2013. It was a cool way to wrap up a hot trip. We used Moenkopi and Brady had very recent figures on time of travel. We assigned watches and had a person awake at each end of our quintupple rig the whole night. We got to Pierce before the sun was up but with light.

It could be a different experience with cold temperatures. We had lots of flat space on the big boats and half of us had been sleeping on them all trip anyway. Having at least one really good spotlight is a must. You do have to row off walls from time to time and seeing them early really helps...

Also, I was quite proud of my rigging one of the cargo nets down between the bows of boats 2 and 3 and the side of boat 5. I tensioned it to hang just above the water empty and when one of the ladies had to pee at night she would just crawl onto the net and pee through it. Gotta keep everyone safe.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
I would make sure to have a GPS unit with peirce ferry marked if there is no moon. You really don't want to hit pierce ferry rapid.
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We night floated August 2017. It was a hot trip and no one was looking forward to the hottest days at the end. I was surprised how cold the air was coming up the canyon from Lake Mead at night. We were wearing layers and in our sleeping bags. I would take advantage of the cooler days to enjoy time in camps in that section, if possible.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I have done several night floats over the years but pretty much just motor out now. It still takes about 8 hours with a motor. The first couple of hours are pretty fun until the novelty wears off, then...

If you do decide to do it I suggest you get some of the thin glow sticks from the party store and hang them around various places on the boat. We hang a couple on each oar tower to define the edges of the boats. Adds a festive air and increases safety.
I would also have each person wear a couple on their person in case someone goes in the water.

It will be very cold especially if there is wind or rain. Rig a jet boil in a safe place so you can make hot drinks, soup, etc. Have a pee bucket handy.

Keep headlights on red as it is easy to blind everyone if you sweep the boat with a bright beam and ruin everyone's night vision.

At least one spotlight and if wind is blowing the silt around it will be really hard to see obstructions.

Plan an extra day in the schedule because if it is just too tough tie up and wait for light.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Did the night float in April under a full moon. Hung out at Separation Canyon until 6PM then floated all night - arriving to Pearce about 7:00 AM. Was pretty chilly in April (maybe 45 degrees?). No problems other than getting stuck on a couple of sand bars. Magical views with the moon. I'm not sure if I would do it in the winter with no moon but each to his own. Probably not a lot of objective danger but probably not a lot of fun either.
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Did the night float in April under a full moon. Hung out at Separation Canyon until 6PM then floated all night - arriving to Pearce about 7:00 AM. Was pretty chilly in April (maybe 45 degrees?). No problems other than getting stuck on a couple of sand bars. Magical views with the moon. I'm not sure if I would do it in the winter with no moon but each to his own. Probably not a lot of objective danger but probably not a lot of fun either.
We did this in '12, including the full moon. We considered it f'in COLD! We went from Truckstop to Spencer until about 8pm. Then barged up and got to Pearce at 9am.
Old 10-12-2018   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
I would make sure to have a GPS unit with peirce ferry marked if there is no moon. You really don't want to hit pierce ferry rapid.
I honestly couldn't think of a worse way to wake up. Imagine peacefully sleeping on your boat on the last night of your trip. You're riding that high that comes after trips like this and dreaming of your next return. The yelling of your buddy wakes you from a somber sleep and you realize the freight train sound in your dream was actually the loud roar of the splashy rapid up ahead. You frantically sit up and assess the situation. Looking around you realize you're in the middle of the river and only a short distance away from the rapid. You and your friends are committed to "running it". You start to realize the full immensity of this predicament. You're still half in your bag and your pfd is sitting right next to you, not on you. Too late to put that on now. Instead you grab a half empty beer laying next to you and pound it.......
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The night float is a great option to avoid upstream afternoon winds and limited to no camps on the lower stretch. It's also a really neat experience and cool way to finish your trip. At normal flows (8,000-16,000cfs) it takes around 12 hours of drifting from Separation Canyon to Pearce Ferry. We usually strap boats side to side, and with that configuration you'll only need two people to stay awake to row the available oar on the first and last boat to pivot the barge and stay off the shore. Agreed on the temperature, somehow it gets significantly colder even on hot trips. I've done the night float three times now, including the last which was only my partner and I as the rest of the trip took out at Diamond. I highly recommend it!
kavukavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by daairguy View Post
I honestly couldn't think of a worse way to wake up. Imagine peacefully sleeping on your boat on the last night of your trip. You're riding that high that comes after trips like this and dreaming of your next return. The yelling of your buddy wakes you from a somber sleep and you realize the freight train sound in your dream was actually the loud roar of the splashy rapid up ahead. You frantically sit up and assess the situation. Looking around you realize you're in the middle of the river and only a short distance away from the rapid. You and your friends are committed to "running it". You start to realize the full immensity of this predicament. You're still half in your bag and your pfd is sitting right next to you, not on you. Too late to put that on now. Instead you grab a half empty beer laying next to you and pound it.......
This would be awful if it really happened...

....but if you're writing a fiction novel, sign me up for an autographed hardcover copy!!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote