Neck gasket - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2019   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Neck gasket

Ok so how do i fiz this? Think its to much to trim off and iam not sure this is the cause but the suit defenitly takes on a little water. I was going to trim a little cause it was feeling a bit tight (must be getting fatter in my neck) but not that much lol. Ill send it away to kokatat this winter but need it for a rescue course coming up. Thanks charlie in bozeman

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Woops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_165836_1558134985735.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	35035  
Old 05-17-2019   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

That'll help!
LLubchenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #4

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
Traditional bicycle inner tube patch kit (the kind with the little tube of rubber cement) works wonders for small holes/tears. I had a neck gasket tear on me once in two different places. The bike patches got me through a week long trip and probably would have held for the rest of the season if I hadn't replaced the gasket.
ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Cool thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2019   #6
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I have fixed holes with vulcanizing bike tube patches. The patch held the rest of the season. I've made field repairs on tears with duct tape or gorilla tape. Do be aware that the tape doesn't stretch, so it puts more stress on the area around the tape. If it's really bad, we've taped people in their suits, but I prefer to just use a small amount so you can still don and doff the suit.

I had a wrist gasket tear about a year ago without any warning just before we were going to put in. Gorilla tape to the rescue. I didn't even have to dig in my kit as someone standing there peeled a couple inches off of his paddle where he keeps a little emergency supply, and this gave him a reason to refresh it when he got home.

Good luck!
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
On the longer expedition type trips, like the GC, I’ve become a big fan of bringing a couple of neck, wrist, and booties along. The NRS tutorials are a great way to learn how to replace gaskets yourself, it is really not that hard.

I have seen one neck, and two wrists blow out on winter GC trips, on the two wrists, I was able to just help the guy replace them. I’d had some practice doing one on my own drysuite back at my house, and they turned out almost as good as factory.

If you are at all good at fixing things, just buy the materials and do it yourself, that way, when you get to go on one of those epic trips, you will have the experience to just replace the blown out gasket, and stay dry, warm, and happy the rest of the trip!
Old 05-20-2019   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Great idea with the bike patches, Will!
Old 05-20-2019   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
If I understand the OP's question I think it's more that he cut too much off the neck gasket and now it leaks. I actually do this on purpose. I then sew a small piece of velcro on the gasket so I can adjust the tightness. Use seam seal on the back of the threads. It makes it a lot easier to get on and off and I hate the too tight gasket around my neck. I'm not a kayaker so not down in the water all the time, but I don't have any leaks with casual use. Might try it - don't have much to loose at this point
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Oops I didn't see the second post with the picture of the holes. Never mind
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote