Navajo Reservoir Spring Operations - San Juan River - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2017   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Navajo Reservoir Spring Operations - San Juan River

Hey all-

I'm just posting an update to our spring operations at Navajo Dam. Based on current snowpack, we're planning a big spring peak release this year. The details will change as the rest of the winter season unfolds, but right now we're looking at several weeks at a release of 5,000 cfs release at the dam. When combined with the Animas, you'll likely see 8,000 and hopefully up over 10,000 cfs down in the rafting reach when the Animas peaks.

I'm updating our new Navajo Dam Operations landing page with information about the release about every two weeks (when we get new forecasts) so go there for details. See the link in the public notice I'm pasting below.

---
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560

BUREAU OF RECLAMATION

NAVAJO UNIT FORECAST FOR SPRING OPERATIONS

March 15, 2017

High snowpack in the San Juan River Basin this year has led to an above-average inflow forecast into the reservoir. Reclamation will be conducting a spring peak release from Navajo Dam, peaking at 5,000 cfs, to accommodate incoming inflows into the reservoir.

The shape and timing of the release hydrograph will be coordinated with the San Juan River Basin Recovery Implementation Program's (SJRIP) flow recommendations and will be made to balance recovery program benefits with potential flood control and operational safety. During spring operations, releases from the Navajo Unit will be made in an attempt to match the peak timing of the Animas River to maximize the peak at the San Juan at Four Corners gage while remaining below the US Army Corps of Engineers safe channel capacity of 5,000 cfs between Navajo and the confluence with the Animas in Farmington, and 12,000 cfs downstream of Farmington. During the release, Reclamation will coordinate with federal, state, and local agencies.

Reclamation is hosting a public meeting about the 2017 spring operations on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Farmington Civic Center, 200 W Arrington Street in Farmington, New Mexico.

Projected spring operations will be updated on our website every two weeks. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Behery at 970-385-6560 or [email protected]. Visit the Navajo Dam Operations website at https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/nvd.html for updates.

sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017   #2

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thank you for the information, Susan. I was wondering whether the meeting on April 5 shed any light on the release plans? I have a May 8 launch on the San Juan and we are wondering whether we'll need our smaller boats, or, can we bring the big boats? We are launching at Sand Island and taking out at Clay Hills. Any updates are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2017   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bring the big boats

Susan
sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017   #4

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996