Motor Permit Ruby Horsetheif / Westwater? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2018   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Motor Permit Ruby Horsetheif / Westwater?

Hi all,

So sorry if this question has come up 100 times, but I'm trying to figure out if I need a permit for a 6hp motor on the CO, through McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area.

I called the BLM. They referred me to the CO Parks and Wildlife who then referred me to any state park that can perform a hull inspection. I was told all I need was the hull inspection vs. registering the motor in any special way. I donno...I just need a sanity check since I've often seen motors with registration info tagged onto a piece of wood that hangs off the motor. Anyway, they said to the register the boat, not the motor?

I've put some time into doing the right thing, but I want to be 100% confident that I have what I need so folks don't give me a hard time. It's bad enough taking ridicule or having a motor in the first place! (For what it's worth, I only bring it for emergencies, or if the death wind kicks in).

Thanks in advance for input.
-Fin

finripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018   #2

You need to register the boat you intend to use the motor on with the Colorado parks and wildlife folks. Just like you are registering a ski boat. Costs 35 bucks.

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Page...strations.aspx
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You need to register the boat you intend to use the motor on with the Colorado parks and wildlife folks. Just like you are registering a ski boat. Costs 35 bucks.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Boat Registration
Terrific. Thanks for the confirmation and link. Greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not sure about R-H, but if you want to take a motor on Westwater you'll need to have registration, plates or registration # showing, and a fire extinguisher on the boat. You can't take the motor if you don't have them.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Get it licensed and have all the documents and a fire extinguisher. It's no different than taking you motor boat on Lake Powell or Lake Michigan. There's no requirement, yet, to have certification that your boat is free of Zebra Mussels. On a WW trip last week my friend's motor was rejected because he didn't meet the requirements. It was a looooong paddle out.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #6

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
And that's when your boat acquires the title of a ' vessel '. If the boat's future parallels the past with Motor Vehicles, you could someday be subject to interim taxes during the time the ' vessel ' is not in use if you wanted to register it again some years later. Thankfully, I don't believe that is the case today, with vessel's at least.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
However...you are exempt for this rule if your vessel is from out of state and going to be used in CO for 60 days or less.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Its wording makes it seem like you could put a motor on an exempt boat (canoe/ kayak) and not need registration.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Not sure about R-H, but if you want to take a motor on Westwater you'll need to have registration, plates or registration # showing, and a fire extinguisher on the boat. You can't take the motor if you don't have them.

-AH
Hey Andy, so for Westwater is that a Utah registration? It must be. What a hassle. We're doing that run in Sept.

Thanks for all the other input on this thread. I'm going to get the hull inspected this AM and at least get that paperwork out of the way.

Boat = Gray's Reef
-Fin
Old 08-03-2018   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoeher View Post
Get it licensed and have all the documents and a fire extinguisher. It's no different than taking you motor boat on Lake Powell or Lake Michigan. There's no requirement, yet, to have certification that your boat is free of Zebra Mussels. On a WW trip last week my friend's motor was rejected because he didn't meet the requirements. It was a looooong paddle out.
Thanks! Can you be specific about what your buddy was missing in terms of requirements? I'll I'm thinking I need for this Ruby trip is a hull inspection (paperwork) and a fire extinguisher (and possible 6 pack for bribery if things get dicey).

We're doing WW in Sept, so your recent intel is key. Thanks again!