Most Complete Medical Kit? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-28-2018   #1

Most Complete Medical Kit?

Hello all,

I've got a deadline to use up a chunk of FSA funds here before the end of the month. First aid kits are one of the items allowed for use, so am looking to get a good one for our rafting group to use on multi-day trips.

Due to the close deadline, not wanting to deal with FSA rules on individual items, and also just not knowing what all we could need, building one is a no-go - I'm looking for a pre-made kit. I'm thinking I'd like to get some first aid training before next season, and we will potentially be going on trips with individuals who have received medical training, so as complete of a kit as possible would be ideal.

Doing some preliminary searching, the Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Medic (https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...ain-medic.html) sounds like it's a complete kit (and the reviews from people using this while deployed in the middle east makes it sound that way too) and is well within the amount I'm needing to use up. Any thoughts on this kit, vs others out there?

Thanks

Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You may want to compare what is in the kit with what is on the Grand Canyon regs of first aid items:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...al_River_Trip_ Regulations.pdf

Everyone in your group should have at least basic first aid training, be familiar with what is in the kit, how and when to administer. Good idea to have confidential medical history and list of meds for each participant, be aware of allergies, etc.
Old 11-28-2018   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
A roll of good duct tape should be able to handle most all your 1st aid needs along with a little neosporin. With a roll duct tape you can effectivly deal with 90% or more of "1st aid" issues. If you doubt it I would be happy expand based on any situation you want to throw my way.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018   #4

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
A roll of good duct tape should be able to handle most all your 1st aid needs along with a little neosporin. With a roll duct tape you can effectivly deal with 90% or more of "1st aid" issues. If you doubt it I would be happy expand based on any situation you want to throw my way.
Foreign object in eye.

2nd degree burn.

Broken long bone.

Laceration longer than 3 cm.

Dehydration from diarrhea.

Possible toxic shock from leaving a tampon in too long.

Dislocated shoulder.

Impalement.

Infection due to a sliver.

Ripped off toenail from stubbing a rock.

These are all things I've seen on multiday trips. Solve 9 of them with duct tape and neosporin. I'm not saying duct tape isn't on my boat but for minimal space, weight, and cost, there's better options. I'm guessing you'll say "1st aid" is minimal because you'll transfer to a higher level of care but I've seen that take awhile on a river trip.

Saw the ranch at Loon take about seven hours to get one of their hands a life flight for a snake bite and that was with a horse to haul the guy, a landing zone, and a sat phone and radios.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
You should add to this by snaggging a couple of the individually-wrapped ibuprofen tablets from the breakroom first aid kit at work. Maybe grab a couple of bandaids too in case it's a cut that doesn't really warrant pulling out the duct tape.

But seriously, something else to consider is a pack or two of the "Quick Clot" stuff for any trauma wounds.

Good luck getting your kit together,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a big fan of duct tape, band aid strips, Tylenol etc in a zip lock bag. And keep a ziploc bag of stuff like the above on my raft for minor injuries .

However, Show any of the upper level Adventure First Aid kits to any of the river rangers I have encountered over decades of rafting and there is a ok lets move on down the list.

My bet is a ziploc bag with a roll of duct tape and neosporin is going to create a problem that probably will keep you off the river till you come up with an acceptable well stocked first aid kit.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #7

Thanks for the feedback so far, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
However, Show any of the upper level Adventure First Aid kits to any of the river rangers I have encountered over decades of rafting and there is a ok lets move on down the list.
I'm not certain what you mean... are you mearning that the higher level kits are well-regarded among them, or not so much?
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
These have been popping up in my FB feed lately. They look pretty comprehensive and have multiple options for sizes/abilities.

https://mymedic.us/collections/unive...13599630098528
Aerocam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Adventure makes a wide assortment of kits, Adventure kits like the Mountain series are pretty much accepted in my experience with river rangers, I use one of the REI kits (mine is in a zippered 7 x 11 x 3 red bag labeled Backpacker) purchased some time ago. I just refresh things I use. At the time of purchase, this kit was a really good buy. At inspection I unzip this bag and it has been accepted basically on sight by many river rangers. Adventure has all sorts of professional quality kits that I would buy say if I went off shore blue water sailing. What I am saying is a decent quality first aid kit from quality retailers like Adventure or REI make the inspection procedure easier than showing up with a ziploc bag with duct tape and first aid cream inside. Altho I do have a ziploc bag in my raft captains bag with stuff I use for minor injuries and keep the big kit in a dry bag. I am a Wilderness First Responder and agree that my personal ziploc bag works for most of the injuries I have encounted but the big kit is always there if needed. To back up the Duct tape for raft repair I have several water proof bags with 200 feet of rope, slings, pulleys, prussics, metal/wood small saws, tool kit, raft repair kit etc. This is the kit I have used a lot and the more trips I go on, the more things get added.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Several of the kits mentioned above are a good starting point but in my opinion have too much stuff (700+ items?). My experience (10 yr ski patroller and EMT) is that any FA kit is limited by how familiar you are with it. In an emergency we tend to go to the solution that we are familiar with and the FA kit should reflect those items. I'm comfortable inserting airways but that would be a waste of space for many people. Whatever you get, take the time to really get to know it and customize it with things that you know how to use. Most first responders have a highly customized kits developed from real world needs, not a catch all first aid supply house. Besides clotting agents mentioned by Andy the other thing I am a big fan of is the new zipper style (Zipline) wound closure products. Amazing product. Also superglue and Newskin for small stuff
jgrebe is online now   Reply With Quote