Mental Health of River Guides - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-31-2018   #1

Boise, Idaho
Mental Health of River Guides

We are a team of high school students at One Stone School in Boise, Idaho. We are currently in the middle of a semester long project on mental health in the outdoor guiding industry. We have done some interviews and research on the mental health of river guides. We are interested on hearing stories from you-what has been your experience with guiding and mental health? Have you ever reached out to a mental health resource? What was your experience?

Thank you!

ChristianR.OneStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
You might get a great deal of information for your project from the Whale Foundation in Flagstaff https://www.whalefoundation.org/
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #3

Boise, Idaho
Thank you so much! John Napier is a great guy, we got to interview him last week and learned a ton.
ChristianR.OneStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018   #4

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Dang:

I was hoping for some sort of running joke thread.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
also check out the redside foundation. https://www.redsidefoundation.org/
and maybe talk to some of the people there and what they do.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would suggest creating some kind of poll or document for Buzz members to fill out, or at least encourage folks to reach out to you via private message. Unfortunately there is still a stigma with mental health issues and I have a feeling that many will hesitate to post that kind of information publicly.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
As high school students, hopefully you haven't yet encountered in yourself or your peers the widespread use of alcohol and other recreational substances used as a form of self-medication for depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues, but if you do put together any kind of survey or poll that might be a worthwhile avenue of exploration. I can tell you from personal experience, valid survey research of raft guides is tough to do: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17078311
Good luck with the project.

And, also, since this is where I too thought this thread was going based on the title - what's the difference between a raft guide and a savings bond? The savings bond will eventually mature and make money.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Anyone who would want to float down rivers, cook steaks for dinner over a camp fire, drink a cold beer at the end of a day watching the river flow by and sleep under the stars listening to the river while being paid to do so is obviously crazy IMHO.

I hope you keep getting some serious answers unlike mine.
PS: I know a guy who has guided for 20 years and he is a happy man.
Old 11-01-2018   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
As one passenger told us, river guides may be tough but we sure are stupid. Than one passenger out of 200 getting off of my airplane that I piloted into Jamaica , asked me if I was her river guide awhile back on a Yampa river trip and I said yes I was, but tonight I'm not setting up your tent. Small world.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Yeah, guides get paid peanuts and guests pay thousands (not that company owners get rich--gear, insurance, vehicles, etc are all expensive). Guides work sunup to sundown and beyond making sure the guests are safe, happy, fed, dry, and entertained. They have to be "on" all the time.

I go to the river to get away and unplug. Where do they go? I doubt they'd want to relax in my office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Unfortunately there is still a stigma with mental health issues.
My completely non-scientific opinion is that this is the biggest issue with mental health care.

It's really not a joke, it is serious, and if someone ever trusts one of us with the knowledge that they're struggling, we need to be empathetic and respectful of that knowledge.

ChristianR.OneStone, a tip of my hat to you and your classmates for caring to look at this issue.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote