Maxxon or outlaw cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2019   #1

Maxxon or outlaw cat

Hi guys, I'm Pablo from Chile, I'm a fly fishing guide on the BioBio river(a big river) I currently own a NRS otter 13' SB, with a fully equiped NRS frame. I'm looking now for a cataraft because I need more cargo space, I float all day and provide riverside bbq for my clients, they also prefer that kind of boat for fishing. I can afford a maxxon or an outlaw, both i
14'. Maxxon is about $600 usd less than the outlaw. How much better could be an outlaw vs the maxxon. The 16' outlaw is also available but like $400 more than the 14' outlaw. Any thoughts will help on my final choice. Outlaw is pvc welded or glued?

Ptorresavello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #2

You might want to look at RMR (Rocky Mountain Rafts). They are just barely more than Maxxon, but are welded, instead of glued. Good luck with whatever you choose.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMcG View Post
You might want to look at RMR (Rocky Mountain Rafts). They are just barely more than Maxxon, but are welded, instead of glued. Good luck with whatever you choose.
we don't have a lot of options here in Chile, and good stuff is really expensive. Do you know if outlaws are welded or glued?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #4

If you mean the NRS Outlaw cats, I don't believe they are being sold by NRS any longer, but I believe they were welded when they were made.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMcG View Post
If you mean the NRS Outlaw cats, I don't believe they are being sold by NRS any longer, but I believe they were welded when they were made.
thanks! We still have outlaws for sale here, the new STAR line is not around yet. Maybe i'll go with the maxxon and wait till I can afford a river cat or an aire. They ask about 2.200 usd for the 16' outlaw and about 1.840 usd for the 14'. Maxxon 14' tubes are just 1.180 usd.
Old 03-26-2019   #6

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
This is all true, but if you are looking for more room than your 13' round boat, I would seriously consider the 16' While it' a little more (ok double the price) than the Maxxon tubes, you will get much more boat and probably better client satisfaction out of a larger tube with a larger frame.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
"cargo space" - never seen a cat that could carry as much as a round boat, and if you load 'em up you sacrifice handling (from "nimble" to "slug").
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptorresavello View Post
thanks! We still have outlaws for sale here, the new STAR line is not around yet. Maybe i'll go with the maxxon and wait till I can afford a river cat or an aire. They ask about 2.200 usd for the 16' outlaw and about 1.840 usd for the 14'. Maxxon 14' tubes are just 1.180 usd.
I got a good deal on Maxxon tubes a few years back, but have only used them twice. I'm just not a cat-boater.
If we can find reasonable shipping from the US, I'll sell them to you inexpensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Mac View Post
This is all true, but if you are looking for more room than your 13' round boat, I would seriously consider the 16' While it' a little more (ok double the price) than the Maxxon tubes, you will get much more boat and probably better client satisfaction out of a larger tube with a larger frame.
I agree with this.
Cats are more nimble, and tend to get pushed around less in rough water, but don't have the carrying capacity of a raft. Whether a bucket boat or a self-bailer, that floor in a raft adds to your cargo capacity. Cats have ONLY the side tubes.

Can you get Aire Tributary boats? The 14.0SB would give you a LOT more carrying capacity than the 13' NRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
"cargo space" - never seen a cat that could carry as much as a round boat, and if you load 'em up you sacrifice handling (from "nimble" to "slug").
^^
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #9
Guppy Captain

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I had an Outlaw cat for 3 years and loved it. You can see my review here:

https://www.riversports.com/nrs-outl...stomer-review/
Burl Haggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #10

Northwest, Montana
I row a 10 foot long cat frame with 14' Maxxon tubes, and love it. A cat is definitely much more forgiving in whitewater - especially with a long frame and loaded with gear. As mentioned above, it does not haul more gear than a boat with a floor. On the other hand, it does row much more easily for fishing purposes.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote