Marking Gear - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2019   #1

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Marking Gear

What works best for you to mark gear with, thinking dark colored oars and such.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I just paint my cam buckles and write my name and sometimes phone on stuff. I try to look for an easy to see spot that won't get worn off too quickly. Maybe use a paint marker on dark stuff.
The problem really is harder to solve with soft goods. Clothing companies should sew nametags into gear.
Old 01-05-2019   #3
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Use a permanent marker that is visible against the material you are marking. Name and contact info. Also, decals with your name | contact info are cheap to order.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Been doing a little color coding of group gear for a Grand trip. Painted fire tending tools green, along with the ammo can they are all in, for instance. Figured when you have a bunch of folks that don't really know who's gear is who's, might as well make it easy on them. The guy that drove the green truck, has the table with green legs, green ammo, Etc.

It is not easy, being Green, though.
Old 01-05-2019   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
I like the decal idea I'll have to look for those. I once saw someone selling custom embroidered straps no buckle just a slit in one end to pull the strap through but I can't find it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019   #6
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Vistaprint.com is cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I like the decal idea I'll have to look for those. I once saw someone selling custom embroidered straps no buckle just a slit in one end to pull the strap through but I can't find it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Bright Red nail polish for silverware, pots and pan handles (my boats red)
Old 01-05-2019   #8
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
For paddles, I use a Sharpie and write on the back side (non power face side) in the little groove near where the shaft is inserted. If it's a black blade like my carbon canoe paddle, I use silver. I think it's a paint rather than permanent ink. For other colors, I just use the industrial ink. It does need to be touched up every year or so, and it can surely be removed if needed.

Sharpie works on most fabrics, too. But I also use a product that I buy in my local SCUBA shop. It's made by Trident, and is kind of like a puffy paint. It holds up really well on soft goods like BCDs, PFDs, gloves, hoods, etc. It peels off of hard items like paddles or cylinders.

There's also marking paint pens. They work REALLY well and are very long lasting. Make sure you know exactly what you're going to write before you get started, because there's no correcting it. For a hard surface, you can quickly repaint and wipe off while wet, but it will never come completely off. I have marked a couple SCUBA cylinders with marking paint, and it holds up. Too well. Sharpie works for that, too; it gets into the metal.

I find the sharpie does rub off of strap buckles after a relatively short time. I sometimes try to put a little mark on the webbing near the buckle, too. The NRS buckles have a place to write your name, and the material takes sharpie really well.

My buddy (also on the buzz) told me that he was going to refinish his Cataract oar shafts. After sanding, he's planning to write his contact information on the shaft, then varnish over that. It should be relatively permanent. He also puts his contact information INSIDE the battery door of his GoPro. That won't wear off!

For my cameras, I usually take the first picture on the memory card AND the internal memory of a paper with my name and contact info. An honest person can get it back to me if needed.

My grandfather had a new and used auto parts shop. They used a really bright yellow marking paint pen on their rebuilt parts so they knew that they were the rebuilders. It held up really well. They used the same paint to mark some of the serving trays they would take to potlucks so they would always get their trays back.
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #9

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
I've used a wood burner to write in plastic on oar blades and paddles and such for identification purposes if lost etc. I've used wraps of various color tape near handles to identify oars and paddles for finding my gear at end of trip. Can use a scribing tool or those vibrating ones to mark metals like frame, or cam buckles. Had a friend get a custom automotive paint job on an ammo can, looked awesome. Just depends on how you want to do it. Magic marker works but can easily be removed by those less than honest types.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #10

DC, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2012
I use electrical tape and strips of colored duct tape. The duct tape adhesive can get a little gummy after a few months but gets the job done for trips. Electrical tape doesn't leave much of mark on the things I've used it on. You can write on the light colored options too.
WolfgangStCroix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark