Main Salmon - Favorite camps and highlights?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2018   #1

Main Salmon - Favorite camps and highlights??

We finally got lucky and got a Main Salmon Permit for late July. We will be going with 5 kids between 9 and 6 years old. All adults and children have been on rivers and we are all comfortable with the whitewater aspect.

None of us have done the Main however.

I can't seem to find a list of the reserved camp sites- is this published someplace?

I understand the system of reserving camps, are there particular sites that you would recommend that might be especially cool with kids- a creek close that would be fun to explore, rocks to jump off (ideally into the river, vs. onto other rocks), a great surf wave close (of course levels change), rapids that could be swam close by?

Smaller non reserved camps that we should not overlook if they are available? We will have 15 people.

We will of course stop at the hot springs and the petroglyphs... With kids, or in general anything in particular that you would say to check out? We have several books and have a good idea of what is where. I am trying to highlight stuff that is especially cool, that we should not miss.

THANK YOU for your wisdom!

brilittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5345634.pdf

Here is a complete list of camps. I sent you a PM of camps I like.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #3

salmon, Idaho
This is also helpful, it shows the large and small reservable camps and how the selection works. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5345633.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Use this website with photos of camps on the Salmon (and other rivers) to augment the pdf provided above.

https://www.whitewatercampsites.com/
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #5
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Another great resource:

https://whitewatercampsites.com/p-mainsalmon.html

Oops, double post. Cat got to it while I was doing something else and didn't refresh first.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #6

salmon, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever_Cat View Post
Use this website with photos of camps on the Salmon (and other rivers) to augment the pdf provided above.

https://www.whitewatercampsites.com/
Glad that this website is back up and running. It was a really useful resource when I was doing my first couple trips down. I was sad when the site was down. I will have to check out the new and improved version later.
Old 04-26-2018   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Glad that this website is back up and running. It was a really useful resource when I was doing my first couple trips down. I was sad when the site was down. I will have to check out the new and improved version later.
Unfortunately it's not improved. I really like Will and tried to upload some pics so he could use them.

The photos as is are tiny, the list of camps shows a thumbnail big enough to make you scroll forever but too small to get any sense at all of what you are looking at. I used to use his site for all camp planning but can't even hardly go there now. FWIW. Maybe I am just sour grapes. Been that kind of day.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #8

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
What day are you launching? We've got a trip with at least 9, 12, and 15 year olds headed out on 7/26
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #9

We put in on the 28th and plan on a nice relaxed float... taking off august 3rd.
Bummer, we will just miss you!
brilittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018   #10

Sebastopol, California
Paddling Since: 1980
Reed Creek is great for a layover..shade, a half buried steel boat, big beach, rocks to fish from, a side creek and subtle hydraulics for the kayaks to play on.

Have fun

Mark
Mark Mills is offline   Reply With Quote