Loveland whitewater center? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2015   #1

Loveland whitewater center?

How have I not heard about this? Supposedly a decision will be made on if it's going to be funded by Dec 10th. I can't find any info on timeline if it does get approved though. It looks a lot like the USNWC in Charlotte. I'm super stoked - I hope it gets funded.

http://cityofloveland.org/modules/sh...cumentid=24290

http://gonoco.org/wp-content/uploads...-RES-31-60.pdf

Edit: The timeline is right in the PDF. Opening date would be January 2018.

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Most likely a developers wet dream, Larimer County and the City of Loveland love to plan things together then the city changes their ideas and the county backs out. At least that's been the M.O. lately.
Old 10-20-2015   #3

I've been following this as closely as one can - there just isn't that much information out there on it. The cool thing is that the City of Loveland doesn't have a lot to do with it. The public money is state money, and the private money is coming from the interested principals.

For those that don't know, this is a bid for a grant from an existing state budget allocation for tourism projects. The overall plan from GO NOCO that was submitted for the tourism grant was narrowed down this summer, but thankfully they kept the whitewater park in the proposal. As far as I can tell it is now down to this proposal from GO NOCO and a proposal from Denver. (A proposal from Durango was eliminated from consideration a couple months ago). In my (biased) opinion the NOCO proposal is much better than the Denver proposal, but I don't get to make those decisions.

There are a lot of moving pieces and hurdles in the way of this project, but just the thought of a reliable place to paddle in the shoulder seasons in northern Colorado has me very excited. Feel free to mark me down for a season pass.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015   #4

OTR, Colorado
Sounds like you are referring to the new county building that was supposed to be located in downtown Loveland before the whole thing turned into a debacle.

And yes, hopefully the WW park won't go the same way. Does anyone have any information on how we can show public support for the project?
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #5

This website basically has all the information I can find: WHY Go NoCO?

Scott Shipley is probably the person who would have the most info.
Old 10-20-2015   #6

Durango, Colorado
Good luck if they've got S2O working on it. It'll be double the proposed budget and get left half completed.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
As far as I can tell it is now down to this proposal from GO NOCO and a proposal from Denver.
Does it have to be either the Denver stockshow project or the Loveland whitewater park that gets funded, but not both? My understanding was that RTA allows the Colorado Economic Development Commision to choose to fund either or both of the projects (up to 2 projects per year), but I only read a little bit about it yesterday when a friend of mine told me about this. Is it one or the other?

I think a whitewater park would draw far more tourists than a stockshow, but I may be biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm11 View Post
Good luck if they've got S2O working on it. It'll be double the proposed budget and get left half completed.
It sounds like you're referencing some project in particular? I haven't heard anything negative about S2O before (although I haven't heard much either way tbh).
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015   #8

Durango, Colorado
Durango / Animas WW Park.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #9

The state voted to fund this project with the whitewater park included!

Go NoCo gets in Colorado's Regional Tourism Act Program

Awesome news.
Old 11-12-2015   #10

OTR, Colorado
Yes! Can't wait to see what the timeline for construction completion will be.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote