Lost and Found Forum - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2018   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Lost and Found Forum

This post is intended mostly for the Buzz administrators but comments from users more than welcome. I like the Buzz and check out the posts once or twice a week. Have gotten some good info, ideas and trips here - thanks to everybody. Lately it seems that this site has become a lost and found bulletin board. Not too bad currently but at peak season, more than 50% of the posts are lost and found items. Not a huge issue but if you haven't lost or found something why would you want to see these posts. Would it make sense to encourage/enforce people to post their L&F items in the proper L&F forum instead of in the general boating/ rafting / kayaking / trip planner /etc forums? Just clutters things up with useless info. Just my opinion

jgrebe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018   #2

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I agree. But how would you ensure that those L&F posters go into that forum with their posts? I suppose an admin can move them there when they are spotted, but that could be a little time consuming.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I think it's pretty cool that people are honest enough to post up found items and the owners have been found.

But I agree it could get annoying if the L&F noise exceeds the volume of good discussion.

I generally click the New Posts link, and L&F would still appear there..which works for me. If there were a L&F forum separate from Raft /Gear or Kayaking, it wouldn't hurt those subforums a bit.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Well....if you don't like to see posts from that forum you can also hide it. Just navigate to that forum, look for the "Forum Tools" and click "Ignore Forum" and you'll no longer see posts from it. You can undo it in the control panel.

I think you can still get to it the forum through the navigation bar at the top labeled "Forums"....so easy to see what you are missing.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #5
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
Or just start a 2018 lost and found thread...
jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
This post is intended mostly for the Buzz administrators but comments from users more than welcome. I like the Buzz and check out the posts once or twice a week. Have gotten some good info, ideas and trips here - thanks to everybody. Lately it seems that this site has become a lost and found bulletin board. Not too bad currently but at peak season, more than 50% of the posts are lost and found items. Not a huge issue but if you haven't lost or found something why would you want to see these posts. Would it make sense to encourage/enforce people to post their L&F items in the proper L&F forum instead of in the general boating/ rafting / kayaking / trip planner /etc forums? Just clutters things up with useless info. Just my opinion

I try and move posts to the proper forum every day.... and people get tired of us encouraging them to do so on their own... I don't think there is any benefit to hiding the lost and found forum from the home page. Many members join the site just to use it, and it is probably one of the most viewed topics by non-members.

If you see threads placed in the improper forum please use the little red triangle button under the poster's avatar to report them to moderators and we will move them asap. Thanks.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Well....if you don't like to see posts from that forum you can also hide it. Just navigate to that forum, look for the "Forum Tools" and click "Ignore Forum" and you'll no longer see posts from it. You can undo it in the control panel.

I think you can still get to it the forum through the navigation bar at the top labeled "Forums"....so easy to see what you are missing.

Mayhem. I think you're not understanding the issue. It's not L&F posts in the L&F forum (that's what I'm trying to promote), it's L&F posts in "General Boating" and "Whitewater Rafting" and every other forum. To the point that content in those forums is dilluted by "Lost my boat shoe" posts. As I said earlier, in August I counted days when more that 50% of the posts in the General Boating forum were Lost and Found items
Old 09-06-2018   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Mayhem. I think you're not understanding the issue. It's not L&F posts in the L&F forum (that's what I'm trying to promote), it's L&F posts in "General Boating" and "Whitewater Rafting" and every other forum. To the point that content in those forums is dilluted by "Lost my boat shoe" posts. As I said earlier, in August I counted days when more that 50% of the posts in the General Boating forum were Lost and Found items
Maybe this thread should be "stickied" somewhere.....

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...sts-35745.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I try and move posts to the proper forum every day.... and people get tired of us encouraging them to do so on their own... I don't think there is any benefit to hiding the lost and found forum from the home page. Many members join the site just to use it, and it is probably one of the most viewed topics by non-members.

If you see threads placed in the improper forum please use the little red triangle button under the poster's avatar to report them to moderators and we will move them asap. Thanks.

I feel your pain and maybe there isn't a better way, just a suggestion.
Old 09-11-2018   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Electric Mayhem, I owe you an apology. I didn't understand your post at first and how the home page takes info from all the forums. Tried your solution and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip