Looking for day floats on our road trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2017   #1

Awesome, Colorado
Looking for day floats on our road trip

This summer, from June 19th - July 10th, we are driving from Colorado up to Idaho and Oregon to run the Main Salmon (June 19) and Rogue (June 26) rivers. I'm searching for any additional day floats up there that are worth hitting after these; it's probably the only chance in a long time to be up there with our raft! Looking for anything from "calm and scenic" to class IV runs. We have a 14' cataraft. I've been looking into the Moyie in north Idaho but might be too low by the time we get there in July?

Thanks for the help!

climbbd510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you're able to get to the Moyie it's definitely one of the most beautiful and fun rivers you'll ever run. Class III boogie water for lots of it and the forest is gorgeous. And you get to go through a breached dam as well. It's waaaay up in the northern part of the state but well worth it if you can get there. Also if you're in that area, the Kootenai is a pleasant, easy float (well, except for the falls...) with easy access, at least near Libby MT but probably down a lot of its length.

Have a great trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #3

Awesome, Colorado
Thanks Andy! Do you know if the Moyie is still floatable with a 14 footer in July? I've read that it's more of a May-June float, but hoping July will be good still.
climbbd510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbbd510 View Post
Thanks Andy! Do you know if the Moyie is still floatable with a 14 footer in July? I've read that it's more of a May-June float, but hoping July will be good still.
I can't say. I spent most of a summer in Libby MT about 8 or 9 years ago working on the Asbestos site and got over to the Moyie a few times that summer. Can't remember exactly when it was, and YMMV depending on the snowpack this season. Hopefully some ID folks that know it better will chime in with more info than I've got.

Enjoy!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Grande Ronde between Minam, OR and Troy, OR is a nice float but not sure you can do it in a day once the spring runoff has subsided. We typically take 2 or 3 nights to do the 40 or so miles.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #6
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
on your way through Boise as you're heading to the Rogue after your Salmon trip, hit the main payette, cabarton stretch, Southfork Staircase or Canyon stretch of the payette. all good day floats. and you're going to drive right past them coming off of the Salmon on your way to Boise.
Old 05-06-2017   #7

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Hells corner on the upper Klamath River. Its right by the wild and scenic rogue and runs all year. The whitewater is awesome. It's remote and has great camping at Frain Ranch.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Depending on how you plan to travel home after the Rogue, both of these options are pretty close to the fastest way home to colorado after the Rogue:

I recommend some Class III to IV boating on the N. Umpqua, Segments 1 and 2, good day tripping and camping right by the river at Horseshoe Bend, which is right in the middle of the Segment 1 and Segment 2 day floats:
Maps and descriptions:

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/ros..._brochure.html

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/ros...segment_1.html

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/ros...segment_2.html

or kick it up a notch in difficulty and hit the Smith, particularly Oregon Hole Gorge or what ever suits your fancy.

https://www.nwrafting.com/smithriver
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote