Living in Canon City, CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2017   #1

Laradise, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2016
Living in Canon City, CO

Hey there,

I'm going to be working in Canon City this summer and I am wanting to know what sort of living conditions are out there. Where are some places to camp? Is anyone interested in splitting rent for a house?

Thank you,

SR

srichte3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Commit the right crime and you can get free housing (and three square meals a day)!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Florence I hear has the best food but most of the housing is a little cramped. Real close to Canon City.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I believe back when Colorado was offered state hood, is when Freemont county had the option for Federal funds to build a College, or prisons. Well, they chose Prisons, year round work instead of seasonal. So instead of youth getting an education, they just go to jail, because there is really nothing for local kids to do, except get into trouble, kinda sad, and bone headed.
Old 04-30-2017   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Never could really send the local guides out on solo trips, cause they all had there licence suspended for duis, or minor in possesion, couldn't drive the drop shuttle. All the non local kids were good to drive, not that they were perfectly responsible in there youth, but the prison industry is big business down there, keep the prisons full, and hold onto funding and low paying jobs.
Old 04-30-2017   #6

Boulder, Colorado
A bunch of the guiding outfits have camping at their places. It's hot and sunny with occasional thunderstorms and high winds. Your tent will turn into an oven around 7:30 am most days. Some guides rent places in Canon City. I guided for Echo and camped out in their guide camping area. The right tent makes a big difference - Shameless plug: check out my tent company, we make tents that stay cool in the sun, withstand high winds, and stay dark inside so you can sleep in. Link below.
Old 05-01-2017   #7

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I lived in a tent down there for a summer working for the photography company. It was chilly at night up until maybe July and then temperatures at night were pretty hot. I would totally do it again if I didn't have a dog though.

There is an "RV Resort" called Prospectors that some people rent a spot at.

Most of the outfitters that I can think of had camping available.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #8

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
If your tenting or using a camper, prospectors rv has guide camp sites, tent site is $225 site with electric and water $300. $150 deposit get 75 back if you clean up.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I have great memories of my time there. I lived up on 'the hill' and if you're working for one of the companies up there I would definitely recommend living up there. It's been ten years at least since I was there but I'm sure it's still a ton of fun. Plenty of stuff going on up there, pick up volley ball games, community dinners, plenty of parties. Other than going down to Brother's before the Whitewater bar and grill opened, I never had any desire to go into town.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
That's about when I lived up on the hill, where prospectors is now, awesome times, think I spent a small fortune at Brothers!