Leaf blower inflation - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Columbia Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1985
Leaf blower inflation

I have used a leaf blower many times to inflate my boats, but this year after pretty light use the blower crapped out. It was a Husqvarna, so a decent brand. Does anyone know if putting the kind of back pressure that raft inflation creates is bad for a little 2 stroke motor? Thanks.

geoinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
After trying everything, I found that leaf blowers seem to do the fastest job, (with the exception of the man of rubber pumps hooked to a genny) but, I wonder if trying to move the volume of air from a 2.5 inch tube down to one inch will cause trouble. I have had a bit of success with an inverter and the electric ones, but would be concerned about killing a gasburner. The other bit is that gas with ethanol is absolutely awful for 2 stroke engines. Do you know if you had the right mix, and do you know if you had old gas? What did the failure look like? I am in NJ, but have inlaws in NY so I try to bring back 5 gallons of straight ethanol free gas back anytime I am up. I find that my chainsaws and blowers are so much happier.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Columbia Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1985
gas

i only used premium gas without ethanol. There is some chance that my son grabbed the wrong can to fill the blower, but it is unlikely. I use the recommended 50/1 mix. The shop said the head was damaged and would cost more than a new one to repair.
geoinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Plugging the output of lead blower removes the load off the engine and will cause them to rev up and maybe overspeed, you can see this for yourself by covering the output of a blower while it's WOT. I don't see an issue using a gas blower so long as you keep it from overspeeding, maybe max of 3/4 throttle, I'm sure you can tell by eat.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
As soon as you said head problem, I was thinking straight gas. If you take out the plug can you push the piston down with a wood dowel? will it cycle when you pull on it?
2-strokes have really high rpm, and need the 50-1 mix to keep from seizing/blowing up the motor. I think that using it as an inflator will work, (and does work) but straight gas will kill them every time. You may be able to score another hand held blower on the cheap, and use that as an inflator too. Sorry to hear about the head.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoinmt View Post
It was a Husqvarna, so a decent brand.

They USED to be a decent brand, I bought a lawn tractor of that brand and it's had nothing but issues, transmission, camshaft, ignition, it's been in the shop more than I've had it and has functioned less than 5 hours. SO far was all covered under warranty, but now is out of warranty. They are quite proud of their repair service from the "costs" to repair I've seen on the invoices. I would NOT buy another anything with that name on it. Stihl has always been my preferred brand, I have chainsaws that are 20 years old and still work flawlessly.

Rant over LOL, but I know of a lot of folks that use a leaf blower to inflate with no bad stories to report
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have a beat up Stihl 192 TC chainsaw and weed whacker that i bought new and they keep on running. I have used Coleman fuel in them 80% of the time and any kind of unleaded fuel, they work fine, plus the two cycle oil of course. Sometimes I would pre mix, I really didn't know the ratio of oil to gas I mixed most of the time and some time I would place a little bit of oil in the gas tank than add gas, after a few very smoky runs, I got a handle on the amount of oil to add straight to the tank before adding gas.I don't know about their new products though, hopefully their just as tough and dependable as there older products.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
skip the gas and use a battery blower

I have been using a DeWalt model # DCE100B for the last few years. It will inflate one boat easily and quickly. It also deflates. No need to top off. Take an extra battery and you can get two or three boats
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonjammer View Post
I have been using a DeWalt model # DCE100B for the last few years. It will inflate one boat easily and quickly. It also deflates. No need to top off. Take an extra battery and you can get two or three boats

I've seen a few folks use these on the Westwater ramp to inflate / deflate their boats, they are pretty slick and work almost as well as a 110VAC Mastercraft blower...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonjammer View Post
This is what I use. The valve has to be open for it to really work though. Get the boat tight and quickly close the valve. Top off with pump after the boat is in the water. I can get about two 15' boats on a battery. Also nice to stoke a fire in the pan.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote