Leaf blower inflation - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-31-2019   #11

, CO/UT
Paddling Since: 2000
So no one has mentioned the elephant in the room as far as uncombusted hydrocarbons in the leafblower exhaust (inherent to most H/C-powered blower output) getting shot into raft rubber. It seems like maybe a worthwhile consideration to me (I use only electric blowers to fill mine own raft rubbers, either AC shop vac or DC blowers), but then I am also that guy wearing the high-float vest in the GC.

I'd suppose that a bit of short term unburnt hydrocarbons/exhaust in the tubes is less of a problem than the idjits what shot a full shop vac of shit into their tubes wrought upon themselves, but....

Tower Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019   #12

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
I heard once that the hypalon rafts handle petroleum contact better than the plastic rafts
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Climber View Post
So no one has mentioned the elephant in the room as far as uncombusted hydrocarbons in the leafblower exhaust (inherent to most H/C-powered blower output) getting shot into raft rubber. It seems like maybe a worthwhile consideration to me (I use only electric blowers to fill mine own raft rubbers, either AC shop vac or DC blowers), but then I am also that guy wearing the high-float vest in the GC.

I'd suppose that a bit of short term unburnt hydrocarbons/exhaust in the tubes is less of a problem than the idjits what shot a full shop vac of shit into their tubes wrought upon themselves, but....

How much uncombusted petro we talking here? Pretty sure those are using a driveshaft sort of config to drive a blower. Not exactly pumping straight exhaust into your raft. Hypalon and PVC have decent resistance to gasoline as well.
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019   #14
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Unless this muffler does nothing, i dont think your pumping HC rich exhaust into your boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15726592779081334946911_1572659296417.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	40353   Click image for larger version

Name:	1572659308133-1632213875_1572659318365.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	40355  

Old 11-01-2019   #15
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Also when you use a shop vac you use it empty, or as i do without a bucket at all tower climber.
Old 11-02-2019   #16

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Some thoughts

Raft tubes run around 4 PSI, so I doubt back pressure is problem, maybe obstructed outflow and corresponding failure to intake fresh air. I guess blow the boat but don't totally hold the blower against the valve the whole time. I like the leaf blower option because it is independent of using the car battery etc.
peernisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I use the Dewalt DCE100B that everyone is talking about, but mine definitely needs top-off. It gets the boat to shape fast, then barrel or k-pump.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote