Ladore Yampa Recreation.gov - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ladore Yampa Recreation.gov

According the the monument website, low use non lottery permits for both these river are supposed to be available at recreation.gov. None are ever available. That seems logical enough, but today I noticed that you can't even get a Yampa permit at 250 cfs in October.

Is it possible that canoeist, packrafters, canyoneerers (lol) and tubers are running the Yampa often enough to make October permits at these flows competitive to the point nonexistent?

If not, I wonder if the Lodore permits are also being underreported.

caseyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #2

Yeah, I was fortunate enough to get to be on a high use ladore this year but have been watching the permit page for openings and nada not a one I have seen. Seems like last year there were at least some late septembers and octobers on it. I really think some people have created some bot programs that alerts to permits popping up and they get grabbed instantly.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
There are no October Yampa trips because those permits end up being Lodore launches this time of year as there is no water in the Yampa. There is a very high demand for fall gates of lodore trips. Those permits were booked back in March. Unless someone cancels you won't see it on rec.gov.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
There are no October Yampa trips because those permits end up being Ladore launches this time of year as there is no water in the Yampa. There is a very high demand for fall gates of ladore trips. Those permits were booked back in March. Unless someone cancels you won't see it on rec.gov.
That would make sense. Any idea why a Sept 12th Yampa permit would be listed? Shouldn't that day be a Lodore launch?
Old 6 Days Ago   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
My guess would be that someone booked it as a Yampa reservation in March and then cancelled it.
Old 6 Days Ago   #6

Englewood, Colorado
I snagged an August 9 Yampa permit, we did it all the way to Split Mt in 5 days. We had a great trip, but even at 650cfs we grounded out a few times, no big deal, we probably got lazy looking for the best line (we were in an IK and packraft, low draft, fwiw).

I mention that because I've become convinced the management of at least Yampa permits is poorly done. On our launch date, permits were booked solid before and after, yet the check-in ranger commented that no one had launched for the 3-4 days before us, and that had apparently been the only launch for that entire week except for us. We had the entire river to ourselves until Echo Park.

So if launches are being shifted to Ladore, fine, but that's pretty predictable in the late season. Certainly for the large boats. Why can't someone free up those permits for folks like the OP? At the current cfs level I'd bet a paycheck that...90% of the Yampa permits never launch? Something seems amiss. Just my opinion.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #7

Yampa permits

They really need to have better control of this. If a permit is not used, you should be banned off that river for 5 years. These permits are like gold and should not be wasted.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
Something seems amiss.-Tom
Agreed.

I just emailed the park service. Maybe I can get some clarification.
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zercon View Post
They really need to have better control of this. If a permit is not used, you should be banned off that river for 5 years. These permits are like gold and should not be wasted.
Agreed!!!

And ... if the monument has decided to effectively "close" the Yampa during the entire "low use" season, their ought to be outrage.
Old 6 Days Ago   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
My understanding is that there are only 2 launches per day in Dinosaur in the off season. So if two permits for Lodore are booked there would be no Yampa permits available on that day. But what I don't know is that if someone books a September Yampa in March because the dates shows as available, then cancels in July when they realize that there is no water. What happens to that permit? Does it get re-allocated to Lodore as an opening or does it show up as a Yampa permit or does it just go away.