Ladore Yampa Recreation.gov - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2019   #11

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rec dot gov also shows permits for both rivers 6 days a week starting in november. No matter how I try to slice it, that doesn't add up.

caseyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019   #12

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My understanding of permits at Dino are that the river permits are issued for the monument as a whole. So at the high use season there are 3 launches per day, that is for both rivers. High use season there could be 3 on Lodore one day therefore none on same day for Yampa. Vis-versa or a combo. Low season there are 2 per day. In the late summer and fall usually everyone is doing Lodore.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinoa View Post
3 launches per day, that is for both rivers. High use season there could be 3
Sure.

I think the question is how the computers are set to handle this. What dates or flows are Yampas diverted or is just the consequences of our decisions by booking all Lodore.

Many things still don't add up and I am getting radio silence from the park service.

It doesn't explain 6 days a week winter Yampa/Lodore availability
It doesn't explain the appearance of a random Sept 12 Yampa
It doesn't explain why winter permits are shown as 1 each when 2 could go either way.

"Knowing is half the battle"
GI Joe
caseyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019   #14

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Lodore Permits

I agree that something isn't working. Prior to the rec.gov change, you could always call in and eventually get a permit-might not be the day you wanted but there was always a permit available if you persistently called in which is why I was able to log dozens of trips on Lodore during high use season without drawing a permit. Since the change, I haven't been able to get a single cancellation, have never seen a cancellation online etc. I did contact the park service and was simply told that a lot of people are online...

I would like them to change this system and I wonder if it is working for anybody else?

Thanks,
wrcatsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019   #15

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've done 5 trips in the last 3 years in Dinosaur and all were cancellations picked up online. You just got to check the website, a lot.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019   #16

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Ladore? Do you mean Lodore?
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcatsman View Post
I agree that something isn't working. Prior to the rec.gov change, you could always call in and eventually get a permit-might not be the day you wanted but there was always a permit available if you persistently called in which is why I was able to log dozens of trips on Lodore during high use season without drawing a permit. Since the change, I haven't been able to get a single cancellation, have never seen a cancellation online etc. I did contact the park service and was simply told that a lot of people are online...

I would like them to change this system and I wonder if it is working for anybody else?

Thanks,
I have seen the same result, this being my backyard river trip I was at least seeing a cancelation show up now and again. Since rec.gov took over I have not seen one come up and my job allows me to be on the web steady. I work shift work so I have checked day and night, nothing.
This is my first year of not running Lodore since my first time multi day river trip in 05. I am not a fan of rec.gov. I wonder if any Lodore trips went unused since rec took over.
Be safe out there...
dport is offline   Reply With Quote